Charles was born June 8, 1934 in South Carolina to Dempsey and Penelope Lynn, and died June 11, 1914 in Pierce County, Ga. He married Civility Dinkins. She was born July 10, 1838 in South Carolina, and died October 20, 1919. Charles and Civility are buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery in Brantley County, Ga.
Charles William Lynn enlisted as a private May 9, 1862. Muster roll shows Charles was in Company H, 61st Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA, Tattnall County Volunteers.
He was wounded in left side of face, arm paralyzed and captured at Cedar Creek, Virginia October 19, 1864. He was exchanged October 30, 1864. Pension records show that he was home, wounded, at close of war.
Children of Charles Lynn and Civility Dinkins are:
1) Julia Miranda Lynn, born October 15, 1858 or 1859, died 1921, married Clayton H. O’Quinn, son of Silas O’Quinn and Nancy Carter. He was born December 8, 1852 in Baker Co, FL. and died June 2, 1924. Julia and Clayton are buried in Bachlott Cemetery, Brantley Co, GA.
2) Nancy Civility Lynn, born January 5, 1861; died August 19, 1950, married Capt. Charles F. Willert, born 26 Dec 1866, died 04 May 1927. They are buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery.
3) Alfred Dempsey Lynn, born 1862, killed while loading logs on a tram engine at Schlatterville, Ga.
4) Charles Newton Lynn, born August 28, 1867, Tattnall, County, Ga. died September 24, 1935, Brantley Co, Ga. He married 1st Missouri Hurst on November 23, 1898. She was born February 10, 1879, died March 3, 1900, daughter of William and Eliza Hurst. Married 2nd Susie Lee Harris, daughter of John R. Harris and Delilah Smith. She was born May 24, 1886, Pierce County, Ga., died November 5, 1864 Pierce Co. Charles, Susie, and Missouri are buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery, Brantley Co. Ga.
5) Ellen Luranie Lynn, born July 15, 1870, Pierce Co, died September 29, 1943 Brantley Co., married Leonard Bell, son of Lewis Bell and Delilah Ann Strickland. He was born July 15, 1867, Pierce Co., died July 28, 1936, Brantley Co. Ellen nx Leonard Bell are buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery, Brantley Co.
6) William Allen Lynn, born June 14, 1875 Pierce County, died February 6, 1961 Wayne Co. He married Elizabeth “Lizzie” Douglas, born May 10, 1884, died January 11, 1931. William and Elizabeth are buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery.
7) Lillian Louise Lynn, born September 14, 1879; died August 29, 1948, married Dan Hickox. They are buried in Sardis Baptist Church Cemetery, Alamo, GA.
8) Louvencia Lavenia Lynn, born March 18, 1880, died December 24, 1969, buried in Pierce Chapel Cemetery.
Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on June 17, 2004, and was placed by Jerry Van Herrin on August 4, 2004.