Robert Michael McBee enlisted into the Confederate Army on July 10, 1861, as a Private in Company H, 21st Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He was at the surrender at Appomattox Court House in Virginia on April 9, 1865, and was paroled and discharged there on that date.
Robert Michael McBee, born about 1838 in Georgia was the son of John W. and Nancy (Morris) McBee. He married Hattie “Hettie” Wiggins May 2, 1865, in Montgomery County, Georgia. Hettie was born May 8, 1846 in Georgia to James and Mary (Summerall) Wiggins.
Children of Robert and Hettie McBee are:
1. Mary Elizabeth, born March 13, 1866, m Lemuel Rogers.
2. Alfred William, born February 1, 1869, married Mary Frances Dinkins, 1887. Alfred William, died May 13, 1959. Mary Frances is buried in Ben James Cemetery Pierce County, Georgia.
3. Emily Jane “Janie,” born December 8, 1871, married Baloney “Lone” Thrift March 1, 1888. He was born August 16, 1869 died February 25, 1951, and was the son of Robert and Alice (Albritton) Thrift. Emily Jane is buried in David Hickox Cemetery near Hoboken, Georgia.
4. Ellen, b. February 1872, married Jabez “Uncle Jabe” Rowell, April 21, 1908. He was born September 28, 1850, died July 23, 1929, son of James A. Rowell *CSA* Lt. and Temperance “Tempie” (Dowling) Rowell. Ellen was the 3rd wife of Jabez Rowell.
5. James Jesse “Toy,” born September 15, 1873, married 1st Martha Jane Strickland, born January 10, 1878, died March 24, 1906, daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Causey) Strickland. She married 2nd, Caroline Belinda "Callie” Todd October 31, 1908, born Dec 5, 1884, died Sep 15, 1964, daughter of Alfred and Frances (Hardee) Todd. James Jesse died April 1, 1945. He and Martha are buried in New Hope Cemetery, Brantley Co., GA and Callie is buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Brantley Co., GA.
6. Serena “Rena,” born November 11, 1876, married James Wiley Wainright, April 1, 1896. James was born March 21, 1867, died October 20, 1934, the son of Noah and Elizabeth (Knox) Wainright. Serena died Feb. 12, 1952. Both are buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, Brantley Co., GA.
7. Hettie, born July 5, 1882, married Willie McGahee March 22, 1903. Hettie died January 1978.
8. Julia, born April 6, 1885, married James Bryant Morgan Aug 4, 1899, born November 1, 1880, died June 2, 1939, son of James Azall and Jane (Keen) Morgan. Julia died November 14, 1958 and is buried in New Hope Cemetery. James is buried in Bachlott Cemetery, Brantley Co., GA.
Robert was 23 years of age when he enlisted into service July 10, 1861 at Rising Fawn, Georgia. Robert enlisted as a Private into Company H, 21st Regiment Georgia Infantry for 3 years or until the war is over. He drove a regimental ambulance. Robert had wounds to his left forearm and right foot. Robert and the others in his regiment belonging to the Army of Northern Virginia, were surrendered by General Robert E. Lee, *CSA* to Lieut. General U.S. Grant, commanding Armies of the United States. They were paroled at Appomattox Court House, Virginia April 9, 1865.
Robert M. McBee died in 1887 leaving Hettie McBee a widow. Hettie filed for a pension September 2, 1927 with W. M. Roberson, Ordinary of Brantley County. Mr. Roberson and J. J. Rowell attested that they knew her. Hettie McBee was approved to receive a widow’s pension, October 17, 1927.
Hettie McBee died May 1, 1928. They are buried in New Hope Cemetery, Brantley County, Georgia.
Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser in January 2004, and was placed by Jerry Van Herrin and Linton Herrin in March 2004. The Lawton-Gordon-Evans Brigade Chapter #2637, United Daughters of the Confederacy dedicated this marker on April 24, 2004.