Charles was born November 23, 1834 to Andrew J. and Sarah (Highsmith) McClellan. He married Nancy Cooper, daughter of John and Keziah (Morgan) Cooper. Nancy Cooper was born September 02, 1845 and died December 1924 in Brantley County, Ga.
Charles J. McClellan enlisted into the Confederate Army on July 29, 1861 as a private in Company C, 26th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged with a disability from Receiving and Wayside Hospital at Richmond, Va. on April 13, 1863. He died November 2, 1895. Both Charles and Nancy are buried in McClellan Cemetery.
Charles and Nancy McClellan had the following children:
1. Andrew J., born February 08, 1862, died July 21, 1864, and is buried in the McClellan Cemetery, Brantley Co. Ga.
2. Jackson J., born April 04, 1864, died June 14, 1866, and is buried in McClellan Cemetery, Brantley Co., Ga.
3. James F., born February 01, 1866, died January 18, 1877, and is buried in McClellan Cemetery, Brantley Co., Ga.
4. Robert Layton, born November 27, 1870 and died November 19, 1945. He married Martha J. O’Neal on December 20, 1891 in Wayne Co, Ga. Martha was born November 27, 1870 and died November 19, 1945. They are buried in New Hope Cemetery at Hickox, Ga.
5. Nancy Elizabeth “Lizzie,” born February 08, 1874 and died on May 16, 1913. She married Calvin O’Neal, born in 1869 and died May 29, 1933. They are buried in McClellan Cemetery, Brantley Co, Ga.
6. Richard B., born January 12, 1877, and died April 06, 1936. He married Nancy Virginia Goff, daughter of Franklin and Eliza (Goff) Cope. She was born March 14, 1885, and died March 26, 1936. They are buried in Smyrna Cemetery, near Lulaton in Brantley County, Ga.
7. Annie M., born December 19, 1881 and died March 31, 1957. She married Charles “Charlie” Gilbert O’Neal, Sr., born about 1880 and died May 13, 1951. Charlie is buried in Bethlehem Cemetery and Annie is buried in the McClellan Cemetery, Brantley County, Ga.
8. Hatta Charlotte “Hattie,” born April 11, 1886 and died November 04, 1986. She married Raybon Jackson McClellan, born April 1871 and died cir 1939. Raybon Jackson was the son of son of Henry and Catherine (Cooper) McClellan. They are buried in McClellan Cemetery.
Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on July 22, 2004, and placed by Jerry Van Herrin October 29, 2004.