Robert O'Berry was born in Ware County on June 06, 1846 and died April 20, 1916. He married Sarah A. Minchew, daughter of John Minchew and Rachel James. She was born February 07, 1849 and died June 11, 1930. They are buried in Thomas Cemetery in Brantley County, GA.
Robert O'Berry enlisted as a private in Co. K, 5th Regt., Georgia State Troops on Oct. 6, 1861. Roll for Apr. 25, 1862, last on file, shows him present. Mustered out April 1862. Enlisted as a private in Co. A, 50th Regt. Ga. Inf. June 7, 1862. Appointed 3d Sergeant Mar. 1864. Roll for Feb. 28, 1865, last on file, shows him present. Pension records show he surrendered at Appomattox, Va. April 9, 1865. (Born in Ware County, Ga. June 6, 1845).
Robert and Sarah's children were:
1. Ryan Frier, born February 04, 1870, died July 15, 1905. He married Letitia "Lettie" daughter of Jabez Dowling and Susan/Susannah Crews. She was born July 13, 1877 and died November 26, 1940. They are buried in Thomas Cemetery.
( Ryan Frier O'Berry was named after his mother's brother, Ryan Frier Minschew. Ryan Frier Minchew was a charter member of the Atlantic and Gulf Guards (shown as Wryan Frier or W.F.) and was killed in the Battle of Cedar Creek, Va. Ryan Frier O'Berry's father, Robert G. O'Berry, was a Sergeant in the same company and regiment and survived the War to return home to marry Sarah "Sally").
2. Robert David, born about 1874 and died about 1955. He was married to Mary Etta Todd. (Submitted by Lyn O'Berry, Baltimore, Md).
3. Thomas S., married Gertrude "Gertie" Minchew, January 16, 1901; born November 11, 1882.
4. Mildred "Millie," born 1878, died March 03, 1930, married Major Lawton Woodard. Mildred is buried in Thomas Cemetery.
5. Rachel Vandella, born November 02, 1885 and died January 01, 1961 in Ware County. She married William Frederick Lucas, June 22, 1910. Rachel is buried in Thomas Cemetery.
Resurces: Jerry Van Herrin and Gaynell Highsmith Sasser's Notes; Typed and contributed by Gaynell H. Sasser.