usflag

BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,

P.O. BOX 1096, Nahunta, Georgia 31553

This page was updated April, 18, 2014

POST ROAD

postroadmarker

Photograph provided by Ms. Tara Fields, Camden County, THE CRYPT



This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and the British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn at Point Peter. Albert Gallatin, while U.S. Secretary of the Treasury in 1805 recommended the Old St. Marys Road, a portion of the Post road as one of the seven principal routes that were important to U.S. defense and postal service

 

The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this road in 1763. Later it became a regular stage coach route. At Coleridge, a short distance north of the present Waycross Highway, Job Tyson maintained a tavern for travelers along the post road. It was the only hostel between the Altamaha and Satilla rivers and was a regular stage coach stop. A Historical Marker is located at Georgia Highway 32, at the Brantley County Line (Georgia Historical Markers)

 



RETURN TO WAYNESVILLE HOME PAGE