usflag

BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY

P.O. BOX 1096, Nahunta, Georgia 31553

This page was updated April 28, 2014

GEORGE WINFIELD THORNTON *CSA*

1822 - 1892

George Winfield Thornton

 

George W. Thornton was born in Tattnall County, March 2, 1822, a son of Isaac Jr. and Mary O’Steen Thornton. George and his first wife, Mary Moody, born in 1820 in Georgia, had nine children. Mary died in February 1870 and George married his second wife, Mrs. Martha Miller Henderson, born Dec. 25, 1833, daughter of Ezekiel S. Miller and widow of Lewis Henderson.

 

 George Winfield Thornton enlisted into the Confederate Army as a Private in Company G, 44th Georgia Infantry. He was born March 21, 1822 and was married, first to Mary Ann Moody, and second to Martha Miller. He died on February 22, 1895. George is buried in High Bluff Cemetery.

 

George and Mary had the following children:

 

(1) Jonathan, born 1839, married Margaret Bennett, daughter of Randall M. Bennett.

 

(2) Timothy, born 1841.

 

(3) Jane Elizabeth, born Feb. 16, 1843, died Dec. 31, 1884, married Dempsey Pleasant Griffin about 1869.

 

(4) Frances, born 1844, died in girlhood.

 

(5) Joseph, born 1848, married Mrs. Amarintha Harris, daughter of Darling Dowling and widow of John Harris.

 

(6) Holly Ann, born 1850, married George Lewis Lee Sept. 10, 1874.

 

(7) Mary Emily, born 1854, married John Lee, Feb. 22, 1876.

 

(8) Rosalia, born 1860, died May 19, 1926, married Noah Newton Griffin Dec. 14, 1879, son of Dempsey and Mary Dowling Griffin.

 

(9) Georgia Lee, born 1863.

 

 George and Martha had two children.

 

(10) Amy, born 1874, married W.D. James.

 

(11) Laura Belle, born 1877, married James F. Lloyd.

 

 This information came from Huxford’s “Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia ” volumes 7, 8, 9 and 11 and “The Roster of Georgia Confederate Soldiers” volume IV page 691 published by Broad foot Publishing Company.

 

Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on July 20, 2003, and was placed by Jerry Van Herrin and Art Keene in September 2003. The new burial stone was dedicated by Lawton-Gordon-Evans Brigade U.D.C. Chapter #2637 on October 18, 2003.

 

Return to Index of New Grave Markers for Military Veterans