usflag

BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY

P.O. BOX 1096, Nahunta, Georgia 31553

This page was updated April 28, 2014

BENJAMIN D. WALDRON *CSA* 1846-1912

benjamin waldron

 

Benjamin D. Waldron was born in Ware now Pierce County, November 26, 1846, and was the son of Oliver Asbury and Chloe (Howard) Waldon. He was married January 06, 1868 to Lucretia Lewis, born February 14, 1848, in Wayne now Brantley County, daughter of James Bryant and Letitia (McCool) Lewis.

 

Children born to Benjamin and Lucretia:

 

1. Fannie Letitia, born October 10, 1868, married Jasper G. Harvey, November 08, 1883.

 

2. Rena Isabelle, born November 12, 1871, married Frank T. Thornton, May 04, 1893.

 

3. Libbie Orilla, born May 05, 1874, married (1) William Brack, March 1891; (2) W.E. Fouche, June 14, 1903.

 

4. Texas Roberta, born January 12, 1876, married Wesley Greenfield, October 19, 1898.

 

5. James St. Clair, born January 08, 1882.

 

6. Benjamin Drewery, Jr., born January 18, 1887, married Margaret Lee, June 21, 1916.

 

7. Willie Iona, born May 18, 1891, married J. Alfred Brown, May 15, 1910.

 

Benjamin Drewery Waldron was a faithful Confederate soldier though only a teen-ager. He enlisted as a private July 18, 1862, in Co. “A”, 50th Georgia Regiment, a Pierce county company.

 

He served as a substitute for his brother, Randall D. Waldron who had enlisted in April previously. Benjamin was wounded in the left shoulder and right ear in the engagement at Crampton’s Gap, Maryland, September 14, 1862. He was captured at Farmville, Virginia, April 06, 1865, three days before Lee’s surrender. He was released from Point Lookout Prison on June 22, 1865 and returned home.

 

Benjamin died September 13, 1912, and his wife on August 19, 1920. They are buried in Smyrna Cemetery, Lulaton Community, Brantley County, Georgia.

 

Source: Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia, by Judge Huxford, Volume VII, Gaynell Sasser.

 

Betty McGuire ordered this grave marker in 2002. Jerry Van Herrin and Art Keene placed this marker. In March 2002 “The Lanier of Glynn Chapter UDC” dedicated this marker in Smyrna.

 

Return to Index of New Grave Markers for Military Veterans