BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,
Built in 1848 is the home of Mr. Sylvester and Mrs. Theresa Mumford,
located in Waynesville, Ga.
Picture provided by Earl Knox.
WAYNESVILLE Prior to removal to Jesup in 1873, Waynesville was the County Seat of Wayne County. However, copies of Legislative Acts in the middle 1850s also shows that the Wayne County court was conducted at different location. The answer, for many years, court was held in home of individuals. The home of William Clements was one of those sites; he also gave land for a courthouse to be built, but no record is found of its having been constructed. Early Georgia records indicate that Waynesville was one of the more prosperous towns in Georgia. It contained a number of houses, commercial stores, and the Mineral Wells Academy. School was held in this Academy and the building was also used as a court site. According to the 1895 U.S. Atlas, Waynesville had a population of 250, and possessed a post office.
(Portions extracted from from Miscellany of Wayne County, by Margaret C. Jordan)