George Washington Willis enlisted into the Confederate Army on February 16, 1864 at Camp Mercer, as a Private in Captain Clinch's Battery, Georgia Light Artillery.
Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on June 2, 2003. The Confederate Head Stone, denoting "G.W.'s" military service, has not been installed at his burial spot due to conflicts with the owner of the cemetery property (Enoch Smith). Mrs. Gaynell Sasser talked to Enoch several months ago about access to the Cemetery, without getting satisfactory permission. The "stone" is now in the possession of Chambless-Frye Funeral Home in Nahunta. This problem has continued since October 2003, and is still unresolved.
We don't understand a situation where a property owner will not allow access to a private cemetery.
The Confederate Tombstone for George Washington "Wash" Willis was placed at Smyrna Cemetery and dedicated by the Lawton-Gordon-Evans Brigade Chapter #2637 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy on May 23, 2009 with the assistance of the Capt. James Knox "Seaboard Guards" Camp #2022 of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.