Submitted by Don Bankston October 1, 2005
Jackson, the county seat of Butts County was laid out in 1825 and was named in honor of General James Jackson, United States Senator from Georgia who resigned his seat and returned home and took a leading part in exposing the Yazoo Fraud. The site of the town was formerly an Indian trading post, trails having crossed here. According to a "Gazeteer of Georgia," published in 1860, Jackson in 1828 contained seventeen houses, nine store, two doctors, nine mechanics shops, three law offices, houses of worship for the Baptists, Methodists and the Presbyterians. It also contained a court house, jail, and an academy. The growth of the town was gradual, until 1862 when the Southern Railway was completed from Atlanta to Macon. Since that time Jackson has enjoyed a substantial growth. Jackson is located on the main line of the Southern Railway System, almost midway between Atlanta and Macon, being 42 miles North of Macon, and 45 Miles South of Atlanta. The population including Pepperton, a mill village, is now 3,000.
The city is located on the east wing of the Dixie Highway, now known as Route 42. It is also connected with Griffin by Route 16, this highway extending from Selma, Alabama through Newnan, Griffin, Jack son, Monticello and Eatonton to Sparta. Jackson is also connected with Covington by Route 12. The Dixie Highway from Atlanta extends through McDonough. Locust Grove, Jackson, Indian Springs, to Forsyth and Macon.
Jackson is served by a splendid School System. The Jackson High School is the county high school and is on both the Southern and State List of Accredited Schools. There are three or four junior high schools in Butts County and they send their graduates to the Jackson High School for their final year's training preparatory to entering College. Prof. R. I. Knox is superintendent. Jack Dempsey, Jr. is principal and coach of Athletics. O. A. Pound is chairman of the Board of Education.
Page # 2
There has just been completed in Jackson one of the A. K. Hawkes Libraries. This building is situated near the High School building and the pupils will have access to the library during the school year. The late A. K. Hawkes left a considerable amount of money to be expended in building and equipping libraries for children and the last of these buildings was secured the past year by Jackson. It will be managed by a board of trust consisting of O. A. Pound, chairman; Mrs. J. B. Settle, Vice chairman; S. S. Copeland, Secretary and Treasure; G. E. Mallett and Mrs. J. D. Jones.
There are three churches in the city, The Baptist, The Methodist and the Presbyterian. Jackson has church property worth $150,000.
The Methodist church recently completed a $50,000 church office and a parsonage cost ing $10,000. The combined membership of the three churches is 1,500.
The city is served by three banks which have combined resources of $1,380,826.82 and combined deposits of $752,366.02. The city boasts of never having a bank failure in its entire history.
The city takes a high stand for law enforcement. During the entire year of 1924 there was not a single divorce granted in the whole county of Butts, and there was not an arrest made in the city of Jackson for the first quarter of the year 1925.
Officers of the city are H. M. Fletcher, Mayor1 G. E. Mallett, J. R. Thurston, L. P. McKibben and E. S. Settle" Aldermen. J. A. McMichael is city clerk and treasurer, an office he has held for long number of years.
Organizations consist of the Kiwanis Club, of which O. A. Pound is President, William McIntosh Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Mrs. T. G. Willis Regent; Woman's Club, Mrs. O. A. Pound, President; Larkin Watson Chapter, Daughters of the Confederacy, Mrs. J. M. Curry, President; Butts County Centennial Association, Miss Lucile Aiken, President.
The Woman's Club of Jackson donates free books to the schools, and offers free clothing to all poor children in the county and has done so for six years.
Page # 3
The William McIntosh Chapter of the D. A. R. is now engaged in marking the Jackson-Indian Springs Road as a Memorial Boulevard to the Butts County Soldier who lost their lives in the World War.
Jackson is the smallest town in the State to have a full company of Nation al Guard. It is the home of Company A Second Infantry. This company is known as the Jackson Rifles and has a proud history. It is commanded by E. S. Settle.
Electric lights and power are obtained from Central Georgia Power Company, which has its large hydro-electric plant on the Ocmulgee River, eight miles from the city of Jackson. The water supply is pumped by electric pumps from a pure-water creek about a mile from the city into the large reservoir. The storage capacity of the reservoir is about 750,000 gallons, the filtered water storage capacity is 114,000 gallons and the pumping capacity is 1,500 gallons per minute. The State Board of Health declares the water to be excellent.
All of the city is served by sanitary sewers and the fire department has motorized equipment.
The health conditions are excellent, there not have been a case of malaria or typhoid fever in the city in several years, the local physicians disclose. Jackson is 700 feet above sea level, has an annual average temperature of 66, and boast on the exceptionally fine drainage, being situated on a ridge that turns its water in one side into the Towaliga and on the other side into the Ocmulgee.
Some of the largest industries in Jackson include: Pepperton Cotton Mills, which manufactures towels and fancy weaves. This mill, of which B. A. Wright is President; E. L. Smith, Vice President and secretary; and H. O. Ball Treasurer and Superintendent; is owned entirely by local people, buyes local cotton, employs local labor and has 15,000 spindles and 556 looms.
The Ocmulgee river plant of the Central Georgia Power Company has a capacity of 24,000 horse power, consisting of six generating units of 4,000 horse power each.
Georgia Pimento Products, Inc. specializes in canning pimento peppers, with capacity of 200,000 cans per day. Sweet Potatoes, spinach, peaches, pears, bean, and etc. are also canned in this plant.