Campbell County GA
Campbell County was formed by the Georgia legislature on 20 December 1828. The county was formed from Carroll, Coweta, DeKalb and Fayette counties. The county was named after Duncan G. Campbell, who was one of the United States Commissioners who signed the Treaty of Indian Springs Acquisition.
The original county seat was Campbellton; however, when the Atlanta & West Point Railroad began to plan its route, the town's residents said no due to noise concerns. The tracks were laid through Fairburn instead, which flourished while Campbellton died out, and Fairburn soon became the new county seat in 1870. The Campbell County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The county existed for one hundred and four years. The northwestern half of Campbell (and a bit more of Carroll) became Douglas County in 1870, divided on October 17 at the Chattahoochee River. The remainder of Campbell County was ceded to Fulton County at the end of 1931, along with Milton County, to save money. The legislation creating the merger was enacted on August 9, 1929, with Milton being added to the process in 1931.
ANAWAQUA'S TOMB—Opposite the village of Campbellton, on the western bank of the Chattahoochee, in a tuft of trees, on one of those mounds so common in Georgia; rest the remains of Anawaqua, an Indian Princess, the former proprietor of the soil. It is situated in a meadow, in a bend of the Chattahoochee, and near the foot of a considerable hill. Ancient fortifications are traced all around the plain, extending from the river to the hill.