|Welcome to Candler County GAGenWeb|
Candler County was created from parts of Bulloch, Emanuel, and Tattnall counties on November 3, 1914 by an amendment to the Constitution of 1877. Georgia's 48th county was named for former Governor Allen D. Candler (1834-1910). Cities and Towns include the cities of Metter and Pulaski.
The Candler County Courthouse, built in 1921, and the South Metter Residential Historic District, comprised of 75 late 19th and early 20th century homes on landscaped boulevards, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Candler County covers about 247 square miles. The proposed constitutional amendment provided that Metter be the county seat. Originating as a railroad station on the Georgia Railroad, Metter was first incorporated as a town in 1903. Kenneth Krakow attributes the name to a railroad officials explanation of how he first met his wife…….he “met her” at the train station.
|Resources Available on this Site|
|Biographies - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Deeds & Land Records - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Military - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Newspapers - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Obituaries - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Photographs - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Vital Records - Georgia USGW Archives|
|Vital Records - Death Records on this Site|
|Wills & Probate- Georgia USGW Archives|
|Message Boards * Mailing List * Queries|
|GenForum Message Board|
|RootsWeb Message Board|
|RootsWeb Mailing List|
|Adjacent County Sites|
|GAGenWeb County Table|
Copyright 1998 - Present by The GAGenWeb Team
Many thanks to Nancy Gay Crawford for her work on the site over the years!