The information contained on this page is used with the permission
of Danny Collins of West Monroe, Louisiana, who researched the cemetery,
and submitted by Ann Collins Merritt. Our thanks to both of these
researchers for allowing us to use this information.
Hutcherson Cemetery is located in the northwest corner of the county,
above Waleska, about a quarter mile north of the intersection of Cagle
Circle and Salacoa Road. It contains 56 marked graves of either
fieldstones or manufactured tombstones. There are approximately twice as
many fieldstones with no markings and graves without stones.
The earliest recorded burial occurred in 1838 with the interment of one
of the Salacoa Valley's earliest settlers, Aaron Fiendley. The latest
burial was conducted in 1956. That amounts to 118 years of continued use
though there were several periods of inactivity.
In recording the information on the tombstones it became apparent that
the ten-year period with the most activity was the 1880's with 11
burials. The second-most active ten-year period was the 1890's with 8
burials. This does not take into account the unmarked graves.
Of the 47 graves that the ages of the occupants could be determined, 17
were children 5 years old and younger. That equates to one third the
population and given the large number of unmarked graves, there are
probably many more children buried there. This leads this observer to
believe there were many hard and sad times for parents in the Salacoa
Valley in the 19th century.
Several other observations came to light while examining the tombstones
and fieldstones. Most of the burials occurred in the front half of the
cemetery, with a short space between the graves in the back, clustered
in a half-moon shape. Those graves are reported to be of slaves who died
before and during the Civil War or freedmen who died later. There are 2
fieldstones with the name Ivy carved on them. One of the Ivy stones has
the date (or what appears to be a date) of Jan. 11, 1799 carved upside
down on back of the stone. The information seems to be incomplete;
indeed it seems as though the workman was dissatisfied with the carving
and quit working on the stone.
An interesting monument carries no information at all. It is made of
fieldstones stacked about three feet high, about eight feet long and
four feet wide. It is said to contain the remains of a daughter of Step
Collins, brother of Archibald Collins. There is a lone manufactured
stone with just the initials A.E.R. and no other information. There is
also one fieldstone with just the initials J.S.
An article preserved in the Georgia State Archives reveals more
information on Hutcherson Cemetery. The article was written by Joseph
Barron and contains information on his ancestors. It records more
burials at what was termed the "Hutcherson Burying Ground." They are:
Sarah Gladden Collins, "Sallie," wife of Thomas Roberts Collins
Jacob Archibald Collins and wife (great grandparents of Joseph Barron)
Jacob and his wife, Jane "Ginna" Hardin were born in Lincoln County, NC.
He in 1788 and she in 1793. They were married in 1807 and by 1848, were
living with their children and grandchildren in the Salacoa Valley.
Jacob died Feb. 9, 1866 while Jane was recorded as living in Pickens
County as late as 1870.
It is doubtful that in the future, much more information will be
uncovered (or discovered) about the occupants of Hutcherson Cemetery.
Family Bibles, preserved by the descendants, may provide a more complete
Cherokee County, Georgia
1. BUFORD, Son of JOSEPH & S.E. BARRON. Born Feb. 16, 1881, Died Aug.
2. ELIJAH BARRON, Died March. 1864. Aged 65 Years.
3. MARTHA CORINNE, Daughter of JOSEPH & S.E. BARRON. Born May 6, 1866,
Died Sept. 8, 1866.
4. MARTHA LOUISA Daughter of JOSEPH & S.E. BARRON. Born Feb. 15, 1872
Died Sept. 6, 1872.
5. SALLIE, Wife of ELIJAH BARRON. Born Oct. 27, 1804, Died Oct. 30,
6. MARTHA E. COLLINS, Sacred to the Memory of, Born June 17th, 1855,
Died May 5th, 1382. Aged 27 Yrs. 2 Mos. and 3 Days.
7. THOMAS M. COLLINS, Sacred to the Memory of, Born Apr. 19th, 1847,
Died Apr. 14th, 1881. Aged 34 Years and 5 Days
8. THOS. R. COLLINS, In Memory of, Born May 3rd, 1812, Died Dec. 3rd,,
1884. Aged 72 Years and 7 Mos.
9. AARON FIENDLEY, In Memory of, Who Departed This Life 25th of
November, 1838. Aged about 79 Years.
10. JAMES OLIVER FIENDLEY, In Memory of, Son of AARON and ? FIENDLEY. (Birthdate
unreadable) Died 1856.
11. ELLENDER FREEMAN, Died June 11, 1888. Aged 86 Years.
12. WESLEY FREEMAN, Died June 28, 1855. Aged 60 Years.
13. AUTHUR GRADY, Son of J.S. & M.L. HARMON. Born Sept. 6, 1893, Died
Jan. 11, 1894.
14. ETHEL M. HARMON, Born Dec. 8, 1890, Died Jun. 21, 1892.
15. JOSHUA HARMON., In Memory of, Born November 23rd, 1829, Died May
5th, 1882, Aged 52 Yrs. 5 Mos. and 12 Days.
16. J.S. HARMON, Born May 12, 1869, Died Nov. 4, 1872.
17. J.T.S. HARMON, Born Dec. 8, 1890, Died June 21, 1892.
18. MARY LOUANNA, Wife of J.S. HARMON. Born April 18, 1874, Died Oct.
19. S.J.H. HARMON, Born Aug. 8, 1869, Died May 25, 1893.
20. W.C. HARMON, Born Jan. 16, 1850, Died Feb. 7, 1832.
21. ARTHUR G. HIGHTOWER, Born Auq. '29, 1889, Died ?
22. E.A. HIGHTOWER, Wife of JORDAN HIGHTOWER. Died Feb. 11,1892.
23. HARLEY HIGHTOWER, Born Sept. 9, 1893, Died March 7, 1894.
24. JORDAN HIGHTOWER, Father, Sept. 3, 1841, June 8, 1926.
25. RUTH HIGHTOWER, July 19, 1898, Apr. 17, 1900.
26. TOM HIGHTOWER, Son. Aged 32 Years. Died Aug. 1914.
27. BUFORD, Son of THOMAS & SUSAN S. HUTCHERSON. Feb. 291 1860, Oct. 5,
28. ELLA C. HUTCHERSON, Sacred to the Memory of, Daughter of THOMAS &
S.S. HUTCHERSON. Born May 13, 1851, Died June 21, 1856.
29. GRIFF D. HUTCHERSON, Feb. 26, 1856, Nov. 1, 1917.
30. JOHN CALVIN, Son of THOMAS & SUSAN S. HUTCHERSON. Apr. 29, 1863,
July 2, 1863.
31. IDA SMITH HUTCHERSON, 1869 - 1956.
32. M.G. HUTCHERSON, Wife of NATHAN HUTCHERSON. Born May 9, 1866, Died
Aug. 26, 1890.
33. NAT HUTCHERSON, Born Jan. 9, 1858 Died Jan. 15, 1932.
34. SUSAN S. HUTCHERSON, Wife of THOMAS HUTCHERSON. Born in Pittsylvania
County, Virginia, July 5, 1830. Married June 26, 1353. Died Sept. 23,
THOS. HUTCHERSON, Born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Nov. 2, 1817,
Died Sept. 7, 1901.
36. ELLA M. JONES, Born May 21, 1886, Died June 23, 1887.
37. M.D. JONES Was Born May 3, 1884, Died May 8, 1889.
38. W.M. JONES, Born May 17, 1884, Died May 18, 1885.
39. T.L. LANGFORD, 1841 - 1904.
40. J.B. MORIS
41. JACOB A. Son of M.L. & J.T. ROBERTS. Born Sept. 27, 1875, Died July
42. E.M. Wife of W.A. STRIPLIN. Born 1850, Died March 20, 1876.
43. ANNA RICE YANCEY, 1811 - 1900.
44. ELIGAH YANCEY, Born SC 1806, Died Pickens Co. Ga. 1880's
45. ELISAH P. YANCEY, Pvt. Co. 1, 36 GA. INF, CSA. June 14, 1835, July
46. ELIZABETH WHITMORE YANCEY, Born SC 1816, Died Pickens Co. Ga. 1870.
47. FLOYD YANCEY, Pvt. Co. C, 43 GA. INF, CSA. 1834 - 1870. FLOYD
YANCEY, 1832 - 1879, By His Great Granddaughter, EULALIA WELLDON. 1988.
(2 markers for the same grave)
48. LEVI YANCEY Pvt. Co. 1, 36 GA. INF, CSA. 1837 - 1862.
49. LEVI YANCEY SR. 1803 - 1887. By EULALIA WELLDON.
50. M.E.A. STRIPLIN, Wife of T.A. YOUNG. Born Sept. 15, 1844, Died Apr.
51. T.A. YOUNG, May 10, 1831, May 26, 1921.
55. Enfent of G.B.W. 1901.