Located in southwest Georgia, Colquitt County was created on February 25, 1856 from Lowndes and Thomas counties. It was named in honor of Walter T. Colquitt, a minister, statesman, and lawyer. He served in the Georgia Senate, the U.S. Senate, and the U.S. House of Representatives. There is a historical marker at the Colquitt County Courthouse noting the creation of Colquitt County. There is also a postcard of the courthouse.
The county seat, Moultrie, was formed in 1879 and named for General William Moultrie who was a Revolutionary War hero and a governor of the state of South Carolina.
Much more on the history of Georgia can be found at the Carl Vinson Institute of Government, at the University of Georgia. History of Colquitt County, by W.A. Covington, is a good source of information on the beginnings of Colquitt County and its pioneer families.