Coweta County, Georgia
History and Communities


Coweta History


Coweta County was created in 1826. It was named for a tribe of Creek Indians, the Cowetas. It was formed from Creek Indian Lands received in a treaty with the Federal government at Indian Springs, GA in Feb, 1825. The county seat is Newnan.
U.S. Census reports are available for this county from 1830 to 1920.

During the Civil War the county seat, Newnan, was not burned because it was a hospital town for both sides. Nearby Confederate General Joe Wheeler routed two brigades of Union troops in the Battle of Brown's Mill in July 1864.

Coweta County was served by two railroads, northeast to southwest by the Atlanta and West Point Railroad, now CSX. To the east and west boundries she was served by the Central of Georgia now Norfolk Southern.

Two governors of Georgia called Coweta County home, William Atkinson (1894 - 1898) and Ellis Arnall (1942 - 1944).


Coweta Communities


Post Office
Present
1886 1939 1996 Post Office
Present
1886 1939 1996
Grantville x x x Handy x

Haralson x x x Kedron x

Lodi x

Madras
x
Moreland
x x Newnan x x x
Raymond
x
Paris x

Powellville x

Puckett Station x

Sargent
x x Senoia x x x
Sharpsburg
x x Turin x x x

Tim Stowell / Chattanooga, TN

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since 1 Nov 1998 -- thanks for stopping by!


Last updated: 22 Dec 2014

Top of Page
Coweta County page
GA County Selection Page