The Fayetteville News
APRIL 1, 1910.
It is with sadness we note the death of Mr. G. W. Slaton. Death came at the break of day and took the affectionate husband, kind and loving father and friend to all. His good deeds were counted by the score. He was a Confederate soldier and his remains were laid to rest with the honors of the Confederate soldiers. He leaves a wife and six children to mourn his death. We extend to the bereaved ones our sympathy.
Mrs. J. J. Handley had the misfortune to fall down some steps recently but was not seriously hurt, but was considerably bruised.
Misses Sallie and Pearl Slaton, of Atlanta, attended the funeral of their grandfather, Mr. G. W. Slaton, Sunday.
Mrs. Nannie Grizzard, of East Point, was the guest of her ???ter, Mrs. Lizzie Chandler, S???day.
Mrs. Lula Chandler, of Se??? attended the funeral here ???day.
Mr. T. N. Slaton, of Fairburn was in our midst Sunday.
Mr. W. A. Stokes, of Albany, was in our town Sunday. He was on his way to see homefolks.
Mr. Vesper Slaton, of Atlanta, was the guest of relatives here recently.
Mr. and Mrs. Commie Slaton, of Atlanta, were called to the bedside of Mr. G. W. Slaton Friday.
Miss Mattie Lou Jackson, of Palmetto, has opened up the millinery department of Daniel & Jackson.
The singing given by Mrs. Carl Yarber was a success and enjoyed by all present.
Our Sunday school is on the rising ground. Let every one attend regularly.
Say, "Jay Bird" come again! I am just giving a few dots occasionally. You have the floor.
Tyrone was incorporated in 1911.
It includes the area that was once known as the Town of Stop and the community of Flat Creek.
Post Offices serving the area were Buckhill, Stop, Kedron and Tyrone.
Schools in the area were Rocky Mount, Hopewell Academy, Swanson School, Askew School, Little Vine School and Flat Rock School.
Churches in the area were First Baptist Church of Tyrone (first known as Tyrone Missionary Baptist Church), Hopewell Methodist Church, Flat Creek Baptist Church, Flat Rock Church, Little Vine Church and Tabernacle Baptist Church.
The Church building is now Tyrone City Hall.
This page was last updated on -02/24/2013
Compilation Copyright 2004-Present by Linda Blum-Barton
All Rights Reserved