Georgia; Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions,
and Person, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form
Vols. I, II and III
by Allen Daniel Candler, State Historical
Association, Atlanta, 1906
Forsyth County was laid off from Cherokee in 1834 and named
for the Hon. John Forsyth, a native of Virginia, who came with
his parents to Georgia at an early age and was for many years
prominent in the affairs of the state. The county lies in the northern part of the state and is bounded by Dawson on the north, Hall
on the east, Hall and Gwinnett on the southeast, Milton on the
south and Milton and Cherokee on the west. The Etowah and
Chattahoochee rivers, with their tributaries, drain the county.
The soil is fertile and yields abundant crops of cotton, corn, wheat,
rye, oats, tobacco, fruits and vegetables. There are no extensive
fruit farms, but almost every farmer has an orchard, the products
of which are often marketed at Atlanta. Much of the land is covered with second growth forests of pine, hickory and oak. Most
of the saw-mills are portable and saw by contract for those who
own the timber. The Chattahoochee affords almost inexhaustible
water-power, only a small percentage of which is utilized. There
are no railroads in the county, but a branch of the Southern system runs within a few miles of the eastern border. The products
are marketed principally at Buford, though some are carried to
Atlanta and Gainesville. The schools both public and private are
good. Among the latter are High Tower institute, a Baptist
school, and Hopewell academy, which belongs to the Methodists.
Forsyth county lies within the gold belt and some mines have
yielded large returns. One of these, the Green mine, is a rich
placer and is worked by a few men who employ the most primitive methods. Copper and silver are also found. The population
according to the census of 1900 was 11,550, a gain of 395 since
1890. Cumming, the county seat, is surrounded by beautiful
scenery. About twelve miles south of this place are several small
Indian mounds and ten miles northwest is a peculiar rock of unhewn granite, over 80 feet long, and carved with various characters, which from their appearance must have been wrought at a
very early period. The characters are regular and it is probable
they were carved by the same race of people who constructed the
mounds in this and other states.
Arch, a post-hamlet in the northeastern part of Forsyth county,
is about three miles from the Dawson county line and five miles
from the Chattahoochee river. The nearest railway station is
Flowery Branch, on the line of the Southern that runs from Atlanta
Bigcreek, a post-village in the southern part of Forsyth county,
is eight miles due south of Cumming. It has a money order post-office and
in 1900 reported a population of 168. The nearest railway station is Suwanee, which is about five miles distant.
Coal Mountain, a village in the central part of Forsyth county,
reported a population of 125 in 1900. It is seven miles northeast
of the county seat, the nearest railroad station being Flowery
Branch, on the Southern.
Cumming, the capital of Forsyth county, named in honor of
Col. William Cumming of Augusta, is located near the center of the
county on Vickery Creek and two and a half miles from Sawnee
Mountain. It was incorporated in 1845, and in 1900 the population
of the town was 239, but the Cumming district which includes it
had 1,808. It not only contains the court house, but also has a
bank, several stores, and a post office, from which by the free rural
delivery system mail is distributed for miles around. The public
schools afford to the people the means of education and there are
Churches of the Methodists and Baptists. The great need of the
town is railroad connection. At present Buford on the Southern
railway is the nearest market.
Ducktown Road. In the western part of Forsyth county is a
little village called Ducktown. In the Federal advance upon
Atlanta in the spring of 1864 a skirmish occurred on one
of the roads
leading to this village on April 3d. No circumstantial report of
the affair was made by either side, and it was probably nothing
more than a slight brush between two foraging parties.
Gravel Springs, a post-village in the southern part of Forsyth
county, is not far from the Chattahoochee river and takes its name
from some springs in the vicinity. Buford and Suwanec on the
Southern railway are the nearest stations. The population in
1900 was 42.
Heardville, a post-village of Forsyth county, is about six miles
northwest of Cumming, and in 1900 had a population of 91.
High Tower, a post-village in the northwestern part of Forsyth
county is located about eleven miles east of Gober, which is the
nearest railroad station. It has religious and educational advantages and stores with good local trade. The population in 1900
Itley, a post-village in the southern part of Forsyth county, is
about twelve miles northwest of Suwanee, which is the most convenient railroad station.
Liverpool, a post-hamlet of Forsyth county, is about six miles
southwest of Cumming and not far from the Cherokee county line.
Suwanee is the most convenient railroad station.
Mat, a post-hamlet of Forsyth county, is on a branch of the
Etowah river, about seven miles north of Cumming. Ball Ground
is the most convenient railroad station,
Mish, a post-hamlet of Forsyth county, with a population of 42,
is about seven miles northeast of Cumming. Flowery Branch is
the nearest railroad station.
Nettie, a post-hamlet of Forsyth county, is about five miles southeast of Cumming, and not far from the Chattahoochee river. Buford is the nearest railroad station.
Novetta, a post-hamlet in the northern part of Forsyth county,
is not far from the Dawson county line. Flowery Branch is the
most convenient railroad station.
Odell, a post-hamlet of Forsyth county, is about eight miles
southwest of Cumming and not far from the Milton county line.
The most convenient railroad station is Suwanee.
Oscarville, a post-village of Forsyth county, with a population
of 63, is twelve miles northeast of Cumming and not far from the
Chattahoochee river. Flowery Branch is the most convenient railroad station.
Silver City, a post-village of Forsyth county, is ten miles north
of Camming and not far from the Dawson county line. It has
some mercantile and mining interests and in 1900 reported a population of 110.
Vickery, a village in the southwestern part of Forsyth county,
reported a population of 100 in 1900. It has a money order post-office and is a trading center for the neighborhood in which it is
located. The nearest railroad station is Suwanee, twelve miles
This website created October 12, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© Georgia American History and Genealogy Project