On December 26, 1831 The General Assemble authorized James W. Jones, John M. McAfee, John Welchel, Edward Cowen and Sevier Clark to conduct a lottery to build a toll bridge at Stringer's Ford. (No evidence has been found as to whether a lottery was held or a bridge ever built.)
Stocking Eaters Mine (AKA Stalking Eater & Stockeneter
The mines were located on a tributary of Flat Creek and developed by Dr. Richard Banks who operated the mines for 16 years beginning in 1833. Diamonds were found. This was later known as Glade Mines.
On Highway 129 north at the NE corner of Sam Black Road about one mile from Quillians Corner one of the very few antebellum structures in the North Hall area was constructed. There is no record of it serving as a Tavern but it was built on the first stagecoach route from Dahlonega to Clarkesville, it no doubt served many weary people. A remnant of the old road still exists. About a mile from this point the Phillip Byrd store was located and the Argo Post Office. Though it has been known as the Haynes House no one knows who built it.
Chestnut Mountain-Jesse Lott Sr. was born in 1771 in South Carolina and died in Hall County in 1854. He was married to Nancy Martin, she was born in Ireland. Lott bought 1200 acres of land and an old log house that stood on the property. In later years, the cabin had two-stories and the cellar was used as a tavern or inn. Folks often used this as an overnight stop.
A Few other Sites with Hall County connections: