Glascock County History and General Information

Located in eastern Georgia about 35 miles southwest of Augusta, Glascock County is the 3rd smallest county in the state.   With it's small area of 144 square miles and population of only 2,300, it is tied with Webster County as the state's second smallest polulated county.   It was formed in 1857 following the introduction of a bill into the State Government by Wiley W. Kitchens, a representative and resident of the southern part of the county.   A small part of Jefferson County was added to Glascock County in 1860

Prior to 1857, Glascock was part of Warren County, with the county seat at Warrenton. Warren County, in turn, was constituted in 1793 from the counties of Richmond, Columbia (Presently under construction as a GAGenWeb Page), and Wilkes.    Other present day neighboring counties include Hancock , Washington , Taliaferro, McDuffie, and Jefferson.

Glascock County was named after Brigadier General Thomas Glascock, a member of Congress, lawyer, and an officer in the State Militia.   His father, William Glascock, was speaker of the House of Assebly during the Revolutionary War.   Glascock has eleven populated areas, with Gibson (the County Seat), Mitchell, and Edge Hill being the largest three.    When seeking genealogical information, please keep in mind that the county has been part of several other counties during the history of the state.    For Glascock County official records you should contact the Glascock County Office for Official Records, P.O. Box 231, Gibson, GA, 30810. The telephone number there is (706) 598-3241.

The county celebrated it's 100-year centennial in 1957.    A copy of the publication commerating the celebrations is available here.    Attention was given to the fact that the area's oldest community was a settlement known as Georgetown along the east bank of the Ogeechee River in the northeast corner of the county.   Unfortunately, Georgetown no longer exist and the only remaining evidence that it once served as a vibrant community is some gravesites, a few cellars and the bases of Indian mounds.  Initially the site was an Indian trading post until the Indians left the area sometime around 1773.   It became established as a settlement when a few German immigrant families came into the area from 1753-1793, but soon died out as they moved on to Pennsylvania.    The Centennial publication also notes that the earlest highway cut through the county, as early as 1768, was the "Kings Highway" extending from Waynesboro to Wrightsboro. The name later was changed to the Quaker Road.

Names of note in the county's early history include, among many identified in the Centennial publication: Judge William Gibson, for whom the community of Gibson was named, donated $500 toward construction of the county's first court house and presided over the Court of the Middle Circuit from 1867 to 1870. The first election held in the county was on January 4, 1858 and presided over by Tobias Logue, Tax Collector; Abraham Brassell, Tax Recorder; Seaborn Gloover, corner; Seaborn Kitchens, Surveyor; Richard Walden; Superior Court Clerk and Treasurer; Augustus Reese, Sheriff; Francis Kelly, Ordinary. Individuals serving on the Justice of Inferior court at the time included Calvin Logue, John Land, allen Kelly, Jermiah Wlcher, and Peter Usry.

Back to the top

Back To Glascock Co., GA GenWeb Page

Last Updated 07/15/2001