Albert O. Anderson

The Brunswick News
April 23, 1934

Captain Albert O. Anderson, well known and popular pilot on the Brunswick bar and a resident of Brunswick all of his life, died at the City Hospital early Sunday morning. He had been in a critical condition for several days, hope having been abandoned for his recovery two days before he passed away.

Capt. Anderson had been ill for the past several weeks, but not until two weeks ago did his condition become serious. He was removed to the hospital last week for an operation, and for a time it was thought it would prove successful, but his condition later became serious and although everything possible was done for him it was to no avail.

Born in Brunswick November 5, 1876, Capt. Anderson had spent his entire life here, and he was well known among an unusually large number of friends. When a mere youth he served his apprenticeship on the Brunswick bar aboard local pilot boats, but it was many years later before he received his license, as the number of pilots was reduced shortly after he became eligible to receive his license. For a quarter of century [sic] he was engaged in the mercantile business, first being associated with his father, the late W.A.O. Anderson, and succeeding to the business after his father's death. He received his license as a pilot about ten years ago.

The deceased was a member of the Brunswick lodge of Elks, he had been a member of the Knights of Pythias for more than 25 years, and during his life he had been associated with other organizations in Brunswick. He was a good citizen, a true friend, and his passing will cause genuine sorrow among his large number of friends.

Capt. Anderson is survived by three sisters, Mrs. J.R. Barfield, of Savannah; Miss Bessie Anderson, and Mrs. S.W. Baker, of this city.

Funeral services were held from the residence, 1406 Union Street, at 3:30 o'clock this afternoon, conducted by Rev. Osgood F. Cook, pastor of the First Methodist church. The First Methodist church choir sang "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me," and "Crossing the Bar." Interment was in the family lot at Oak Grove cemetery, and the impressive Elks funeral service was carried out at the cemetery. The funeral was in charge of Mortician Edo Miller. The pallbearers were: Capt. S.A. Brockington, Capt. Walter Brockington, Capt. Eugene Tabbott, all pilots; Otis Calhoun, Dr. Charles Gowen and J.E. Abbott.