New Echota Ferry

Historical Marker

home about Gordon County people cemeteries churches
military photos newspapers links guestbook

Located on the grounds of New Echota

New Echota Ferry

The head of the Oostanaula River

is formed 200 yards northeast by

the confluence of the Coosawattee

and the Conasauga Rivers. The

passage of travelers and freight

along the Tennessee Road was served

at this point by a ferry operated

by the Cherokee Indians, principally

by Alexander McCoy from 1819

through 1835.

 

064-31 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1962
Other Gordon County Historical Markers

Photo taken by Beth Shaw, GAGenWeb Gordon County Coordinator

 

The information contained on this website is submitted by volunteers and is not intended for commercial use. Unauthorized use of content in this website is strictly prohibited.


Compilation Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 [Beth Shaw ]. All rights reserved.

web by