Old Sonora P.O.

Historical Marker

home about Gordon County people cemeteries churches
military photos newspapers links guestbook

Located on Folsom Road, heading north

Old Sonora P. O.

Now Sonoraville

May 18, 1864, Maj. Gen. J. D. Cox's (3d) Div.,

23d A. C. marching S. from Field's Mill,

Coosawattee River, via Cash, took the direct

rd. to Sonora. Moving S. 4 mi., the div. turned W.

on the Fairmont - Adairsville rd. to Mosteller's

Mill (near Folsom), where it camped that night.

Hovey's and Judah's divisions marched from the

Phillip's farm (Dew's Lake, near Cash) on the

direct road to Mosteller's, where they were

joined by Cox's division.

Schofield's 23d Corps was the left flank of

Sherman's army moving S. from Resaca, on a

wide front, towards Cassville and Kingston.

 

064-26 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1969
Other Gordon County Historical Markers

Photo courtesy of Marilyn Houser

 

The information contained on this website is submitted by volunteers and is not intended for commercial use. Unauthorized use of content in this website is strictly prohibited.


Compilation Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006 [Beth Shaw ]. All rights reserved.

web by