This website is maintained by:  Brenda Pierce - email:
This website will contain transcriptions of data, photographs, family memoirs, biographies, census records, land records, deeds, wills, births, deaths, marriages, etc. for Gwinnett County researchers. Please help us to make this site a great resource for all those researching Gwinnett County families. 

 

Courthouse in 2003
Photo by:  Chuck Pierce (All Rights Reserved)
How to Navigate on This Site 

 
Click on Table of Contents to View Documents


Georgia Map of Counties & Regional Mgrs.

 

 

 

  AROUND THE TOWN NEWS - See Links below -...
 Buford    *A LITTLE HISTORY*  Lawrenceville  Sugar Hill
 Dacula  Lilburn    * A Lucky Draw*  Snellville
 Grayson  Norcross  Suwanee
 Braselton  Berkeley Lake  Auburn

Read the Histories about the Towns & Cities of Gwinnett (pdf file)
Cities and Townships of Gwinnett County and Their Histories (html file)


IF YOU HAVEN'T VISITED IN AWHILE, THE * ITEMS ARE LATEST POSTINGS FOR 2006.

1883 Map of Gwinnett County


 

A Little More Gwinnett History

A portion of Gwinnett in 1914 was taken and joined with parts of Hall and Jackson Counties to create Barrow County. In the mid-1950s, the Chattahoochee River backed up behind the NEW Buford Dam and Lake Lanier covered several hundred acres of Gwinnett County.

In 1820, Isham Williams built a temporary log courthouse for $56 on Land Lot 143 near what would later become Lawrenceville. Due to a failure to agree on a purchase price for Williams' land this was cause of yet another move for the courthouse.

Elisha Winn purchased 250 acres in Land Lot 146 for $200 from John Breedlove. A second temporary log courthouse was built on this land in what became Lawrenceville, and this temporary courthouse served until the first permanent courthouse was completed in 1824 at a cost of $4000.

The permanent courthouse burned in 1871, and many records were destroyed in the fire. A second permanent courthouse was built on the square in Lawrenceville in 1872. However, this building proved to be so inadequate that it was torn down in 1884 and replaced in 1885 with the building now known as the Historic Courthouse. The courthouse on the square served as the center of Gwinnett government operations until the opening of the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center in 1988.

GWINNETT TODAY -- According to the Atlanta Regional Commission, the county gained about 24,700 new residents in 1999, bringing Gwinnett’s population to approximately 523,900.


We are affiliated with:
The AMERICAN HISTORY GENEALOGY PROJECT/ (www.ahgp.org)
SOUTHERNFOLK.US (www.southernfolk.us)
US-DATA REPOSITORY (www.usdata.org)
USGenNet (www.usgennet.org)

This server space by: Rootsweb

Note:  This website contains information that is contained in a "site compilation copyright".
We do not accede to any wishes to "archive, store for future use, etc."
Our purpose is to provide information in a free environment to genealogy and history researchers;
we are a repository, but do not give anyone rights to provide this data at anytime or for
any purpose other than "personal use". 

 
(C) 1998 - Present "All Rights Belong to Content Submitters and Webmistress.
ALL OUR RIGHTS ARE RESERVED. BY UTILIZING THIS SITE YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THESE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
EMAIL: