PROGRAM FROM THE SESQUI-CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION
1805 - 1955
Program provided by Katherine Bray ( email@example.com )
PICTURE OF FRONT PAGE OF PROGRAM
S P A R T A
Extends a Warm Welcome Home To It's Native Sons and Daughters.
Also a Cordial Greeting To all Visitors Upon this
One Hundred and Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration
MARVIN G. POUND, Mayor
July 14, 1955
MARVIN G. POUND, Mayor
Charlie Friedman, Mayor Pro-Tem
Lloyd H. Hutchings
John G. Hill, Jr.
E. G. Latimer, Clerk and Treasurer
Albert T. Flynt, Supt. Gas and Water
James R. Whaley, Supt. Water Dept.
R. W. Boyer, Supt. Filter Dept
W. T. Edwards, Chief of Police
G. L. Dickens, Jr., City Attorney
Advisory Council-City Council-City of Sparta
Mrs. James H. Price, Jr., Garden Club
L. M. Hutchinson, American Legion
Mrs. A. Pierce Taylor, Woman's Club
Dr. George F. Green, Civitan Club
Col. M. W. Peck, Lions Club
Mrs. Harry Dickens, Round Table
Miss Edith Guill, MacDowell Club
Lester Mils, Jr., Veterans Foreign Wars
G. Burnett Moore, Sr., The Sparta Ishmaelite
Commissioners: Geo. L. Brown, Chm,; W. F. Hall, W. J. Hitchcock
Louise H. Rozier, Clerk and County Attorney
W. B. Dickens, Sr., Clerk, Superior Court
Mrs. Mildred L. Brantley, Ordinary
L. L. Stewart, Tax Collector
H. C. Latimer, Tax Receiver
J. David Dyer, County School Supt.
H. H. Rooks, Sheriff
July 14, 1955
Sparta High School Campus, 4:30 P. M.
Invocation - Dr. Harry Grady Kenney
National Anthem -
Recognition of Officials and Visitors
Selection - Band
Introduction of Speaker, Dr. Bonner
Historical Facts - Dr. J. C. Bonner
Short Talks - Others
Presentation of Speaker of the House, M. E. Moate
Introduction of Governor - Hon. M. E. Moate
Principal Address - Hon. Marvin Griffin, Governor
Benediction and Grace for Meal - Rev. Eugene Dailey
Street Dance, Courthouse Square, After Dinner
INTERESTING EVENTS IN SPARTA'S HISTORY
1793 - Indian Trading Post, named Sparta because of courage of settlers in Indian forays.
1795 - Sparta designated "Seat of Justice" in Hancock County.
1805 - Sparta Incorporated
1805 - Sparta Methodist Church Built
1806 - Georgia-South Carolina Methodist Conference held in Sparta
1819 - Stage Coach Stop
1826 - Gen. LaFayette Entertained by Gen. Abercrombie at the "Eagle Tavern" - Now Hotel LaFayette
1827 - Female Academy Established in Sparta
1829 - First Baptist Church Built
1831 - Sparta Model Female Academy Established,
with Boarding students from all sections of Georgia (Catalogue of this school in 1837 in Sparta School Library).
1837 - Famous Hancock Planter's Club Organized in Sparta
1839 - Bishop Geo. F. Pierce of Sparta, elected First President of Wesleyan College.
1842 - Bishop Geo. F. Pierce Elected President of Emory College, Oxford, Ga.
1842 - First Agricultural Fair Held. Established by Planter's Club.
1844 - Presbyterian Church Dedicated July 28th
1846 - Carlisle Beman's Academy For Boys, near Sparta, Attains Fame in State.
1852 - Dr. William Terrell's Bequest of $20,000 to University of Georgia, Initiates State College of Agriculture.
1860 - War of Secession - 3 Companies - Sidney Brown's Co. "E" & Co "K" - 15th. Reg. Georgia - "Flower of Hancock"
1861 - Richard Malcolm Johnston's Famous Boy's School at Rockby.
1878 - "Ishmaelite" Established by R. H. and Sidney Lewis
1881 - Work on New Courthouse Begun
1895 - Two story cream brick school building, which housed all Sparta Students was completed.
SPARTA CIVIC CLUBS
1908 - "The Round Table" literary club with sixteen members was organized and federated with Georgia Clubs in 1910.
1910 - MacDowell Music Club Organized
1919 - American Legion Post Organized.
1919 - Woman's Club Organized
1928 - Lions Club Organized.
1945 - Woman's Club Reorganized and Federated.
1946 - Hancock County Garden Club Organized and Federated 1949.
1947 - Formation of American Legion Auxiliary.
1946 - V. F. W. Post Organized
1954 - Civitan Club Organized.
1955 - CELEBRATES IT'S 150TH YEAR AS AN INCORPORATED TOWN
ISHMAELITE PRINT, SPARTA, GA.