Harris County, Georgia History


Harris County Courthouse(old maps, also)

Historical Marker

Harris County was created on December 14, 1827 from Troup and Muscogee counties. This was land that was originally distributed by the 1827 Land Lottery and later by the 1832 Land Lottery. The new county was named for Charles Harris, a distinguished Savannah lawyer who died about the time the county was established. He was thought by many to be the best lawyer in Georgia at that time.

The county seat of Harris County is Hamilton, which was incorporated on December 20, 1828. It is located one mile south of Pine Mountain. Hamilton may have been named for Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury in Washington's cabinet. But another theory has it named for George W. Hamilton, a prominent South Carolinian, Other towns in Harris County are: Whitesville, Pine Mountain Valley, Pine Mountain, Cataula, Rehobeth, Mulberry Grove, Ridgeway, Waverly Hall, and Ellerslie. Harris County is also home to beautiful Callaway Gardens.

Superior Court and Probate records are available beginning in 1828. The 1841 tax list and some earlier tax records are available. Federal Census Records for Harris County are available for the years 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920.


Return to Home Page 

Many thanks to Barbara Smallwood Stock for the hard work put in to this site over the years!

Copyright 1998 to Present by The GAGenWeb Project Team

This page was last updated on -05/10/2012