Hart County was created by an Act of the Legislature, dated December 7th, 1853, and was laid out in 1854 from territory taken from Franklin and Elbert counties. Other territory was added from time-to-time and several changes made to its boundary lines.
In May of 1854 the Judges of the Inferior Court (County Council) purchased, for $200, 100 acres of land on which to locate the county seat. The land was purchased from the heirs of James Vickery and was laid off into streets, squares and lots. This land became Hartwell.
Hart County is bordered on the north and west by Lake Hartwell, on the south by Elbert County, and on the west by Madison and Franklin Counties. On the east is South Carolina with the counties of Anderson and Oconee bordering Hart's boundary line.
Hart County, Georgia was named for Nancy Morgan Hart, an early settler and a Revolutionary heroine who served as a rebel spy and killed five Tories who threatened her home. A correspondant for the Savannah Morning News said that it was called Hart County ... "to perpetuate the memory of that 'Honey of a patriot' mentioned in George White's Statistics, under the name of Nancy Hart, and a fit tribute for such a brave hearted woman." Hart County is the only county in Georgia, and possibly the United States, named for a woman.
Would you like to learn more about Hart County and the famous heroine of Hart county? Please click on to the link below:
This page was last updated on -12/05/2012