Haralson County Historical Society Meeting
Attendees: Peggy Kimball, Ron Feigenblatt, Karen Higgins, Terrell McBrayer, Stephanie Jarrell, Mary Jarrell, Charles Jarrell, John Norton, Jana Gentry, Ruth Clarke, and Julia Norton
Stephanie Jarrell read the minutes from the August 11, 2008 meeting. Motion to accept from Peggy Kimball and seconded by Ron Feigenblatt.
Little Creek School House (LCSH):
- Treasurer’s Report (Jana Gentry):
- Balance, after income and expenses was $6694.69
- Peggy motioned to accept treasurer’s report. Mary seconded.
- Income taxes
- We have until November 1 ’08 to finish.
- The returns are still in progress.
Keeping expenses down.
1:30-2:15 Sat 9/20: dedication of the LCSH
Handing out certificates of appreciation
Quilt unveiling and open house went well. Had 40-50 people in attendance including several people from outside the county (2 from Roopville and 2 from Powder Springs).
Financial report will be e-mailed to Jana Gentry.
Sanford Wade Heritage House (SWHH):
Upstairs is rented for $300.00
Had issues with water for the upstairs. John resolved the issues 9/8/08.
2 people lined up for Fair
Scheduling work day for cleanup before the fair
John Norton continues to develop projects for the fall festival.
- Petting zoo - confirmed
- Painting exhibit for the inside - confirmed
- Horseshoeing event – John to follow up this week
- Butter-making demonstration
- Peggy Kimball has baby food jars she will donate.
- Will have donation jar with explanation of what donations are for
Elevator: Terrell believes that Aaron (from CDM company) will help us with the issue about our water pump.
Jana has sprayed for ants. She has not noticed any squirrels or issues.
West Georgia Pest Control – Fred Spakes
- Terrell left a voice mail for the company
Movie filming: Karen hasn’t heard anything else from the film crew.
No new report on building maintenance.
Projects are pending more finances.
Fall Fair on the Square
- Terrell suggested calling him (the owner) – Karen Higgens will call Fred to arrange service.
University of West Georgia exhibit is almost ready
Gold Mining exhibit: Roy will loan us mining tools.
- Will have for exhibit for main part of September
- Advertise hours of exhibit to be the same as library hours
- Day of festival we will have volunteers on the second story
Jana mentioned photography display for Douglas County Cultural Arts Center – they took pictures of our library for their To Kill a Mockingbird photography exhibit
Grass: Vance Posey will get a crew to ensure it’s cut before the festival.
Vendors: 36 booth rentals
- Ron suggested putting glass case upstairs now and loading tools to partner with UWG exhibit.
- Still awaiting a few applications.
- Sent unsigned check from Tony Pope.
- Karen to notify Jana when are spaces are full for the festival.
- Use watercolor room for dining
- Need to move paint into Christmas closet
- Buchanan United Methodist Church to provide
- Will open front bathroom in library
Buchanan on Parade – DVD
- DBR is not making biscuits this year.
- No one is using the kitchen except for FOTL.
Parade and Entertainment: Karen will keep Jana posted on details
- Ron will continue processing
Georgia Heritage Grant Program
Woodruff Arts Foundation
- Regarding the grant we applied for, the budget may be reduced. We applied for $10,000.
Peggy and Karen will check into applying.
Buchanan Women’s Club has committed to be sponsors for us.
Planning Docent Training closer to the time of the exhibit.
Pumpkin Caper – Monday, October 27, 2008 – 6pm
- Offered to let us use their building for either the main exhibit or local exhibits.
Kids on Patrol:
Pie-eating contest: we should ask Waffle House to donate pies
Jeri will check with PTO at school regarding costume contest
- Peggy Kimball will check
- Person to organize pie-eating contest
- Person to organize costume contest
- Donations of food: candy, hot dogs, buns, chips, etc.
- Person to boil hot dogs (prepare food)
- Total of 10 volunteers needed – need to arrive by 4:00-4:30
- Mary to help in kitchen
- Peggy to make pot of chili
- Jana to arrange local storyteller
- Ron to do scary sounds
Jana has ordered t-shirts. Should be here by Fair on the Square.
Karen will collect money from everyone when they come in.
Karen wrote letter to property owner, but hasn’t heard back from them yet.
John Norton said that the Master Gardeners are ready to take on project.
Hungarian Club of GA has offered to help with cleanup.
Plan to replace marker for Budapest community with another one for the cemetery.
- It is on Steven Newman’s property. He lives in Marietta. Karen assured him that we just want to clean it up.
- Markers are $3000. Half will be paid by GA Historical Society with the sponsoring organization
Ron received package from Travis Paris. Mentioned Matrix magazine with information about mining.
Thank you letter from Chamber of Commerce thanking us for donations to the on-line auction.
Thank you letter from Georgia Historical Society
- Ron interviewed him about mining in GA. Once the interview is reviewed, it will be available on our website.
- 3 artifacts to be displayed as well.
Disaster recovery plan
- Our group won the Roger K. Warlick Award for the 1856 Handbook online won an award.
Our vault is fire proof
Plan to move marriage licenses into the vault
Discussed fire drill planning – close every door
Asked Charles to contact West Georgia Fire Protection to see about a plan for the building
We cannot get insurance for the historic contents
By-laws: Terrell on committee to work on updating by-laws
- sent us a package which we have yet to receive.
- Key Ingredients planning meeting – Thursday, August 21 at 5:30pm
- New quilt being painted at 5:30pm on Wednesday, August 13
Meeting adjourned at 7:17pm.