ABSTRACTS FROM BOOKS CONCERNING HENRY COUNTY, GA

Historical Collections of Georgia

Containing the Most Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, Etc.

Relating to its History and Antiquities, From its First Settlement To The present Time

Compiled From Original Records and Official Documents.

Illustrated by Nearly One Hundred Engravings of Public Buildings, Relics of Antiquity, Historic Localities, Natural Scenery, Portraits of Distinguished Men, Etc., Etc.

By The Rev. George White, M. A., Author of the "Statistics of Georgia."

New-York: Pudney & Russell. Publishers.

No. 79 John Street.

1854

HENRY COUNTY.


Boundaries defined by the Act of 1821; a part added to, and a part taken from, Walton, 1821, and parts to Newton, to Fayette, 1821; and a part to Butts, 1825. Length, 27m.; breadth, 15m.; square miles, 405. Named after Hon. Patrick Henry of Virginia.
The rivers are, South and Cotton.
Several creeks water the county.

McDonough is the capital, situated on the waters of Walnut Creek, seventy miles from Milledgeville.

The public places are, Hollinsworth's Store, Double Cabins, Hale's Store, White House, Cotton River, and Pittsfield.

The face of the country is uneven. The bottom lands are productive.

The climate is healthy.
We insert a few cases of longevity. John Smith, near 100; Jas. Daniel, 80; John Treadwell, 80; Jacob Coker, 80; Richard Card, 80; John Oslin, 80; E. Cloud, 92; Mr. Cuncle, 82.

Mr. John Wyatt lived to the age of 93. During that war which "tried the souls of men," this gentleman, then in the vigour of youth, rendered to his country the most signal services. He was present, and acted an honourable part in the character of an officer, when Cornwallis surrendered. In this and other severe engagements, the deceased bore ample testimony of that underlying devotion to his country's welfare, which distinguished him through the course of a long life.

Statistics from the Census of 1850.--Dwellings, 1680; families, 1680; white males, 4,978; white females, 4,765; free coloured males, 9; free coloured females, 5. Total free population, 9,757; slaves, 4,969. Deaths, 157. Farms, 1,003; manufacturing establishments, 3. Value of real estate, $1,762,595; value of personal estate, $2,869,342.

Among the early settlers of this county were, William Hardin, Jesse Johnson, James Sellers, H. J. Williams, Wm. Pate, D. Johnson, W. H. Turner, M. Brooks, S. Weems, Woodson Herbert, James Armstrong, Robert Beard, James Patillo, Josiah McCully, Roland Brown, R. M. Sims, Wm. Crawford, E. Moseley, John Brooks, who built the first mill, Reuben Dearing, Jacob Hinton, E. Brooks, John Calloway, B. Jenks, Wm. Jenks, Col. S. Strickland, Parker Eason, Joseph Kirk, Wm. and John Griffin, Daniel Smith, H. Longino, Wm. Tuggle, John Lovejoy.
---------------
In 1828, a paper called the Jacksonian, was published at McDonough, by Mr. Samuel W. Minor. This paper was the first to nominate General Andrew Jackson for the Presidency.

The first Superior Court was held 10th June, 1822, at the home of William Ruff, Judge Clayton presiding. The names of the Grand Jurors were, --

William Jackson,                               Robert Shaw,
Wm. Malone,                                      James Colwell,
James Sellers,                                  John Brooks,
James Pate,                                       F. Pearson,
Thomas Abercrombie,                   Wm. McKnight
C. Cochran,                                        B. Lasseter,
G. Gay,                                                Jacob Hinton,
Wm. Wood,                                        Jackson Smith,
Wilie Terrill,                                       S. Strickland,
Jethro Barnes,

Pgs. 495 b, 496

Transcribed by Linda Blum-Barton on 15 Nov 2003.

Return to Home Page

Return to History Index

This page was last updated on -09/05/2006
 

 

Compilation Copyright Linda Blum-Barton 2003-Present

 - All Rights Reserved.