OF HENRY COUNTY, GEORGIA
"THE MOTHER OF COUNTIES"
Henry County, Georgia, was so-named to honor the
American Patriot Patrick Henry. The County was created on May 21, 1821 by an act
of the state legislature and approved by Governor John Clark on Christmas Eve
later that year.
At the time of the Revolution, the settled portion
of Georgia consisted of a narrow strip of territory along the seaboard and the
Savannah River, which had been ceded by the Indians in three treaties in 1733,
1763 and 1773. During the Revolutionary War, the Indians sided with the British.
As punishment, in 1783 they were forced to cede lands lying about the sources of
the Oconee River. In 1789, a treaty surrendering all claim to the land east of
the Oconee River, was made. In 1802, Georgia ceded the Western territory between
the Chattahoochee and the Mississippi to the National Government binding itself
to remove the Indians from Georgia. Under this agreement small cessions were
obtained, extending the boundary of Georgia to the Ocmulgee River.
Henry County's land was acquired in the first
Treaty of Indian Springs which was signed by government officials J. McIntosh, David
Adams, Daniel Newman, William McIntosh, and Creek Nation representatives
Tustunnugee Hopoie and E. Fau Emauthau. The agreement was signed at the Creek
capital, Indian Springs in present Butts County on January 8, 1821. The Creeks
ceded all land between the Ocmulgee and Flint rivers, north and west of previous
cessions, with the exception of a reservation of 1,000 acres around the Springs,
a tract around the agency, which should have become the property of the United
States when the agency was removed, and 640 acres on the West bank of the
Ocmulgee to include the improvements of the Chief General McIntosh.
The area was then opened for legal settlement by
Georgia citizens. Four other counties aside from Henry were created from this
territory by the same legislative act; Fayette, Monroe, Houston and Dooly.
Twenty-one additional counties were subsequently formed out of these original
five. Henry County, as first surveyed, was almost seventy miles in its greatest
length and width and included all or parts of the present counties of Newton
(created in 1821, partly from the older counties of Jasper and Walton), Dekalb
(created in 1822 and from which Fulton County, including the city of Atlanta,
was formed in 1853), Butts (created in 1825), Spalding (created in 1851),
Clayton (created in 1858), and Rockdale (created in 1870). A portion of Henry
County, now lying in Clayton, was added to Fayette County in 1822.
On Dec 17 1823 McDonough was incorporated
in honor of Commodore Thomas McDonough, hero of the Battle of Lake Champlain in
the War of 1812. By 1827 McDonough contained a brick courthouse in the Public
Square and a two-story brick building for the Henry County Academy. It also
boasted its own post office, as well as a number of stores, mechanic shops,
several taverns and inns, and Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian churches. The
town was a relay station on the New York to New Orleans stagecoach line, and was
connected by other stage lines with Fayetteville and Decatur, and with Macon by
way of Jackson. Two additional stagecoach routes passed through the county which
connected Fayetteville with Jackson and Macon, and Fayetteville with Decatur.
Henry County is rich in history and culture. There are beautiful homes and
scenic landscapes all just a few miles away from Atlanta.
BOOKS - Henry County, GA
- Land & Deeds In Henry Co, GA
- Henry County Formation & Boundary Changes
- Election Districts In Henry County
- Mail Routes In Henry County
- Railroads in Henry County
- Incorporating Shearer Mineral Springs, Henry Co., GA - 1840
Office - 1821
of Georgia Courthouse Website - with links to other historical
information & maps
Register of Historic Places in Henry Co., Ga.
Graveyard Site - Linked to Henry Co., Ga Info
Demographic Data Compiled from Census Info
U S Census Bureau Quick Facts
RETURN TO HOME PAGE
page was last updated on -12/23/2011
Compilation Copyright 2002- Present
By Linda Blum-Barton - All Rights Reserved