Jackson County, GA
- Jackson County Historic Archives and Welcome Center This facility, located at
85 Washington Street, Jefferson, GA 30549, houses mortgage records, tax digests dating back to 1797, Civil Court dockets, individual court files, Superior Court minutes, family histories, and much more.
It is also the home of the Jackson County Historical Society.
- Destruction of Georgia Courthouses
- Google Books Digital copies of books, many in the public domain. I strongly recommend using the Advanced Search, which I have linked to here. Here are some I've found related to or containing information about Jackson County:
There are also a number of general reference works that are extremely useful to genealogists, such as 19th century gazetteers.
- An Insight into an Insane Asylum, by Rev. Joseph Camp (my personal favorite so far)
- The Early History of Jackson County Georgia, by G. J. N. Wilson
- Men and Things, by Hiram P. Bell
- Men of Mark in Georgia, edited by William Northen
- A Standard History of Georgia and Georgians, by Lucian Lamar Knight
- Historical Collections of Georgia, by Rev. George White
- Georgia: Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons Arranged in Cyclopedic Form, edited by Allen D. Candler and Clement A. Evans
- Mailing List
- Maps, Historical
- Athens Historic Newspapers Archive This is a searchable archive of images of Athens newspapers from 1827 to 1922. Many legal notices from Jackson County were published here, as well as other material about Jackson County residents.
- Main Street News (The Jackson Herald, The Commerce News, The Banks County News, The Madison County Journal)
- Soundex Converter
Home ~~ Records ~~