Walton Family - Early Settlers in County

By John Harvey

 

Among the early settlers in Jasper County were the "Walton family".  They settled in the northern part of the county around Broughton, Farrar and Shady Dale.

Thomas W. Walton of Oxford has traced the family from Virginia to Jasper County and continues to trace it in Jasper.  Mr. Walton has found other families in Jasper, Newton and Morgan Counties who are related to the Walton's and has traced a number of them.

The earliest Walton in America was George Walton (1680-1766) who settled in Brunswick County, Virginia about 1700.  He is thought to have been an uncle of George Walton of Georgia, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

George Walton of Virginia was a large land owner in Virginia and the Albermarle section of North Carolina.  His will left property to his wife, Elizabeth (Rowe) Walton; and children, John, Catherine, Mary and Isaac Roe.  Isaac Rose was his executor.

Isaac Roe Walton married Elizabeth Ledbetter of Greenville County, Virginia, on Oct 22 1770.  They made their home in Brunswick County.  Their children were: Mary, Henry, Daniel, David, Drury, Isaac Roe, Jr, Elizabeth Fanny and Nancy.  The eldest son was Capt. Henry Walton who fought in the Revolution and died in 1813.  The Henry Walton Chapter D.A.R. in Madison is named for him.

Capt. Henry Walton came to Georgia in 1807, drawling lands in Morgan and Randolph (Jasper) Counties.  He brought with him his two nephews, one of whom was Hiram Walton, the only son of his brother, Danile.  When Capt. Henry died, Hiram decided to stay on in Georgia.  His cousin decided to return to Virginia.  Hiram had drawn Land Lots No. 141 and 142 in the 15th District of Randolph (Jasper) County.  These lots are located just off Ga. Highway 83 at the Morgan County Line. 

Other members of the Walton family joined Capt. Henry in Georgia between 1807 and 1812, among them Peter W., and Mary (Fitzpatrick) Walton, grandparents of Col. Peter W. Walton who practiced law in Monticello in the 1930's and 40's.

Peter W. and Hiram were about the same age.  When the war began in 1812, they and Capt. Henry returned to Virginia where they served in the Virginia Calvary.  Peter was Capt. Henry's son. 

After the war, Hiram returned to Jasper County and by 1825 owned the Walton Plantation which consisted of 1370 acres between Shady Dale and the present Jasper/Morgan County line.  He was also entitled to file on 1970 acres of bounty land because of his military service.  His sons, Edmond and Isaac, filed on this land between Shady Dale and Broughton after his death.  Other deeds show him buying land from Garland Maxeys, William Sanders, Thomas Shepherd, Harmon Geiger and L. L. Holland.

Hiram and Martha C. Walton had three children, Edmond J. Victory, and Isaac L. Walton.  Hiram died in 1847 at age 55.  His widow, Martha, later married Nathan Whitfield, a son of Matthew Whitfield.  At one time Mathew Whitfield and Thomas Broddus were the two largest land owner in the county.

Paper on file in the Jasper County Courthouse in Monticello show that Martha Whitfield dropped all claims on the estate of her late husband, Hiram Walton, so that her sons Edmond and Isaac might claim them.  Some of his land was in Texas.

Isaac L. Walton was born on august 2 1825 at Walton Plantation.  On October 10 1848 he married Anne Elizabeth Wyatt, daughter of Thomas Wyatt of Wyatt Plantation, near Broughton and granddaughter of Col. John Wyatt, Revolutionary War soldier and early settler on Little River.

Records show Isaac L. Walton as owner of Walton Plantation No 1 near Shady Dale, Walton Plantation near Broughton and three large lots near Shady Dale.  He bought land along Murder Creek from James N. Newton and Nancy Bowen.  He also owned a tract of 504 acres outside the city of Madison where he mad his home after 1860.

The Masonic Lodge at Shady Dale was chartered in 1849, and Isaac Walton gave the land on which the lodge hall was built.  He was first Senior Warden in 1849 and Worshipful Master in 1852.  In one deed, he set aside land on one of the lots near Shady Dale for a Walton Family cemetery.  Whether it was ever used for that purpose is now known.  His estate gave two acres near Broughton for the first Shiloh Church in Jasper County.  He was a trustee of the Methodist Female Academy in Madison.

The story is told that when the fighting began around Atlanta in the fall of 1863 that many of the wounded soldiers were evacuated to Covington and later to Madison.  Six hospitals were opened at Madison.  Isaac L. Walton threw open his home and property as one of them.  He worked tirelessly and for long hours to make things easier for the soldiers.  A few days before his death he had worked most of the day and night in a cold rain.  The next morning he had a high fever, and a few days later in January 1864 he died.  At the time of his death he was 38 years old.

Children of Isaac L. Walton and Anne Elizabeth (Wyatt) Walton were: Thomas, Joseph Henry, Eddie E., Charles W., and Isadora.

At the time of his death, Isaac L. Walton's estate was appraised at 200 thousand dollars (ready money), 100 slaves and property in Texas.  He left his widow with five small children and failing health.  She had had typhoid fever the year before, which had broken her health.  With Confederate money useless, she had large tracts of land and no money.  She raised her children as best she could.

Anne E. (Wyatt) Walton is buried in the Slack family cemetery below Broughton and Near Shiloh Church.  Her sister, Talitha had married Dr. Slack, who practiced medicine at Newborn, Broughton and Madison.  The Slack home stood on the left side of Georgia 229 where it joins Georgia 142.  Isaac L. Walton is thought to be buried there also though no marker exists.  Descendants of this family still live in and around Broughton, some live in Newborn, Mansfield and Covington, others in Florida and Texas.

 

 

Additional Comments:
Transcribed by Suzanne Forte (suzanneforte@bellsouth.net) April 2005,  from copies of articles contained in the Monticello News. There articles were prepared by Mr. 
John Harvey and published in this newspaper during the 1970's and 1980's time frame. Some were under the title "Jasper Reflections", others "Bicentennial Bits".
Permission has been granted by Mr. Harvey for use of these very valuable and informative articles.

Copies of articles provided by Benny Hawthorne.