JOHN McKINSTRY HENDRY
A representative farmer of the Morven district, Brooks county, John McKinstry Hendry stands as a true type of the energetic, hardy and enterprising men who have actively assisted in the development and advancement of this fertile and productive agricultural region. A son of Rev. John McPhail Hendry, he was born, December 2, 1859, in Hamilton county, Florida.
William Hendry, his paternal grandfather, who was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, was one of the earlier settlers of Liberty county, Georgia. Migrating to the southwestern part of the state about 1825, he took up land not far from the present site of Barwick, in what is now Brooks county, improved the water power, and there erected the first mill in this part of Georgia. Clearing a part of his land, he was there engaged in farming and milling the remainder of his life, both he and his wife dying from typhoid fever. Her maiden name was McPhail. They were people of sterling character, and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church. To them ten children were born, as follows: Ely, James, William, Neal, John, David, Mary, Harriet, Betsey, and Nancy.
Rev. John McPhail Hendry was born in Liberty county, Georgia, July 5, 1822. Of a naturally religious temperament, he was converted in his youth, and at the age of eighteen years was licensed as a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal church. Subsequently going to Gadsden county, Florida, he bought land, and built a mill, which he operated for a time. Joining then the conference, he held pastorates in different parts of Florida. Afterwards, having joined the South Georgia conference, he preached in various parts of this state. Later he went back to Florida, once more became a member of the Florida conference, and for a number of years thereafter was active in the ministry. When ready to give up his ministerial work, he returned to Georgia, and spent his last days in Brooks county, passing away at the age of seventy-five years. Progressive and enterprising, ever interested in educational matters, he established, in 1850, an advanced schools for girls in Macanopy, Florida, the first institution of the kind in the state. The maiden name of the wife of Rev. Mr. Hendry was Caroline Matilda Bell. She was born, October 20, 1835, in Hamilton county, Florida, where her parents, James and Matilda (Johnson) Bell, natives of Georgia, were pioneer settlers. Five children were born of their union, as follows: John McKinstry; James Edward; Caroline, who was called Minnie; George Pierce; and Marvin E.
Attending school, in both Florida and Georgia, John McKinstry Hendry obtained a practical education in the public schools. Choosing for himself the independent life of a fanner, he began work on his account on land belonging to his mother. In 1889 he purchased a tract of timber in the Morven district, Brooks county, Georgia, and in the midst of the fragrant woods built a small, two-room house, and immediately began the arduous task of redeeming a farm from the wilderness. Selling that property in 1899, Mr. Hendry bought his present farm, which is advantageously located on the Quitman and Adel road. It contains two hundred and forty acres of land, with a good set of buildings, and he is here profitably engaged in general farming and stock raising.
On March 17, 1889, Mr. Hendry was united in marriage with Susan Martha Wilkins. She was born in Florida, a daughter of John and Susan Ellen (Taylor) Wilkins, and a granddaughter of Rev. Richard Taylor, a pioneer preacher of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. and Mrs. Hendry have three children living, namely: John F., Olin McKinstry, and Clara Lee. In his political affiliations, Mr. Hendry is a Democrat, and fraternally he is a member of the Woodmen of the World. He also belongs to the Morven Farmers' union. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hendry are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and contribute generously towards its support.
Linda Blum-Barton, State Coordinator
Vivian Price Saffold, Assistant State Coordinator
Up For Adoption
A Part of the GAGenWeb and USGenWeb projects
Submitted Material Remains the Property of the Submitter
This site utilizes CSS technology and is best viewed using Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator versions 4.0 or greater.
Some of the photographs on this website are courtesy of the Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division