Lincoln County, GA Photo Album
Click on the photo to see a larger version
Lincoln County, GA Courthouse 1874 - 1915
Lincoln County Courthouse 1915 - Present
The 1796 act creating Lincoln County provided for commissioners to select a county seat and build a courthouse, but further directed that elections and court sessions initially be held at the house of Joseph Stovall. The first court in Lincoln County was held in the old Ferguson House, which afterwards became the Dozier Hotel. Lincolnton was named county seat in about 1800. A stone courthouse was built in 1804. The legislature incorporated it as a town on Dec. 19, 1817 (Ga. Laws 1817, p. 85). In 1874 the county borrowed $12,000 for the construction of a new, two-story courthouse, pictured above. It stood on the public square, where the Confederate Memorial now stands until 1915. Since the old courthouse had become unsafe, it was torn down by the city
The present Lincoln County Courthouse on Humphrey Street was built in 1915 and was designed by prominent architect G. Lloyd Preacher in the Neo-classical Revival style. The Courthouse was constructed of red brick that were made on site from Lincoln County clay. The total cost of the Courthouse was $24,340.
For more information go to the Georgia Info site.
© 2003-Present Elizabeth M. Nash All material contained on these pages is furnished for the free use of those researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited--COPYRIGHT IS RETAINED by the author/contributor of the material and publication to any medium, electronic or non-electronic, without consent is in violation of the law.