Oglethorpe County History
The information on these pages was compiled by the
Northeast Georgia Regional Development Center

County Development Towns/Communities Education Religion
Agriculture Transportation Historic Sites Architecture

 

Historic Sites

The National Register of Historic Places lists the following
historic resources in Oglethorpe County.

Residential, Individual Resources

The Amis-Elder House (listed on the National Register in 1978) is an early plantation-plain style frame house located near Crawford. Two rooms up and three down, this house is a good example of an early plain-style house and remains relatively unchanged. The house's interior has early wood graining on the dados and doors.

The Faust Plantation (listed on the National Register on February 12, 1980) has remained in continual ownership of one Piedmont Georgia family since the early days of the American Republic. The Faust family has lived on this tract of land since the 1780s. The dwelling represents two architectural periods: an 1810 frontier cabin and an 1880 post-bellum addition. The plantation/farm complex includes many historic outbuildings. This property greatly contributes to the state's architectural and agricultural history.

The J. L. Bridges Homeplace (listed in the National Register on Jan. 31, 1978) was originally a log cabin that evolved into a small framed house one-and-a-half stories in height. This house is one of the few surviving 18th century folk houses in Oglethorpe County.

The Langston-Daniel House (listed in the National Register in 1978) is located approximately 5 miles west of Crawford. Because this house is constructed of brick and has a parapet at the gable end, it is considered to be a rare and an unusual example of antebellum architecture.

The Smith-Harris House (listed on the National Register on July 25, 1985) is located in Vesta. This property includes a two-story, clapboard plantation-plain type house, outbuildings, and a family cemetery. A freed slave named Kit Taylor was hired to build the house for Joseph Smith in 1839. The Smith-Harris House is significant in the areas of agriculture, architecture, exploration/settlement, landscape architecture, and local history.

Historic Districts

Lexington Historic District (listed on the National Register on in 1977) is located within the Lexington city limits on both sides of U.S. Highway 78, or Main Street, including parts of Crawford Road, Church Street, Greensboro Road, Academy Street, Boggs Street, Shull Street, and Black Bottom Road.  Lexington has outstanding examples of architecture from the early to mid-nineteenth century. Buildings, such as the Lumpkin Maxwell, Platt-Brooks-Smith, Lester-Callaway, Cunningham-Clark, and Evans houses, exemplify the existing early to mid-nineteenth century historic resources located in Lexington. The 1887 Oglethorpe County Courthouse and the 1879 county jail are significant examples of Victorian era architecture. The 1905 Granite Barn and numerous Craftsman bungalows are examples of early 20th century architecture. Lexington is one of the richest communities in Georgia in terms of its architecture and history.

Smithonia: Listed on the National Register in 1984, Smithonia is a district considered significant in the areas of agriculture, commerce, community planning and development, and architecture. James Munroe Smith developed this large rural district of gently rolling hills and open farmland into a business center, which, at one time, boasted over 20,000 acres. The district's extant buildings represent only sampling of the number of buildings originally located on the property. Significant buildings still found on the property are a water tower, a brick dairy, three finely crafted brick barns, the "American-foursquare" type hotel, the Smith Homeplace and outbuildings, and the brick ruins of the plantation store.

The Philomath Historic District (listed in 1979) is located in the community of Philomath, which is a one-mile strip of predominantly nineteenth-century residences and a small commercial area. Philomath has maintained much of the architectural flavor of the nineteenth century. The spectrum of architectural style runs from c. 1820 to c. 1920. There are several Greek Revival homes, plantation-plain houses, and some late-nineteenth century commercial and public buildings. Specific historic resources found in Philomath are the Bartram Buffalo Lick, the Bartram Trail, the Robertson- Wright-Normandy House, Daniel-Bryan House, the Globe, the Glenn-Callaway House, and the Drake-Arnold-Armour House.

Industrial Resources

The Crawford Depot was listed on the National Register in 1977. Built by the Georgia Railroad Company in 1848, the Crawford Depot is a one-story, rectangular shaped building constructed of Lithonia granite. The depot's granite was originally to be used as railroad cross-ties. The granite failed to perform as well as wood and was alternatively used as masonry in constructing buildings like the Crawford Depot. The depot is significant architecturally as a granite building and historically as a part of the communication and transportation network in Georgia.

Rural, Historic Resources and Cultural Landscapes

Howard's Covered Bridge/Big Clouds Creek Covered Bridge: Listed on the National Register in 1975, Big Cloud's Creek Covered Bridge spans the Big Clouds Creek, located three miles southeast of Smithonia. The covered bridge was constructed in 1904-05 by county convict labor. The Big Clouds Creek Covered Bridge is one of eleven covered bridges left in Georgia. This historic resource is not only architecturally and historically significant, but also is important in the area of bridge engineering or method of construction.

Watson Mill Covered Bridge and Mill Historic District: Listed on the National Register in 1991, the Watson Mill Covered bridge and Mill Historic District is located in Watson Mill State Park--five miles southeast of Comer. The district includes the 1885 covered bridge, the site of the mill complex, and early 20th century dam, and ruins of a power plant. Parts of the historic 1800-foot raceway also survive, as well as the Watson homesite, and possibly the site of a blacksmith's shop and a community store. This bridge is still in use with limited clearance for cars and light trucks. These resources are significant in the areas of archeology, engineering, and transportation.

Other Historic Resources eligible for National Register listing

The Birdsong-Hogan House, located in the Lexington District, was constructed in 1850 by George Washington Birdsong. The house has a full-length, Greek Revival porch.

The Collier-Howard House, located in the Bowling Green District of the county, incorporates a Greek Revival portico with a plantation plain type house. The original part of the house was built in 1785 by Vines Collier and the addition was built in 1859 by W. T. Howard.

The Edwards-Byrd House, c. 1859, is located in the Wolfskin District of the county. Built by Mordecai Edwards in 1859, this house is a vernacular example of the Italianate style of architecture. The most prominent features of this building are the slender cloverleaf columns, which support the full-length porch and the bracketed and panelled frieze extending completely around the house.

The Fielding-Dillard House, was built in 1856 by a slave named Orange Neely. It is an example of a plantation- plain house type with Greek Revival elements. The Greek Revival details exist on the entrance, entablature, and portico.

Bethany Baptist Church, better known as Indian Creek, was organized before Oglethorpe County was created. The church began in 1788 as a part of Wilkes County. In 1850, the present house of worship was erected. African- American congregation members were listed under their owner's surname. After the Civil War, these members were dismissed and they created the Fork Church.

Burt's Methodist Church was established by E. P. Burt in 1876 or 1877. At that time, Mr. Burt erected a school house a few yards from where the church now stands. The Methodists held services in the schoolhouse until the church building was constructed in 1881.

Center Methodist Church was organized in 1813 when David McLaughlin, David Patrick, and George Williamson, George Moore, and John Beasley purchased one acre of land near Stephans. On this land, the community erected a meeting house, which was eventually called the "Center Meeting House." Various groups used the building as a central meeting place; Methodists, Presbyterians, and Baptists all worshiped here. Eventually the Baptists and Presbyterians built their own churches, so their meeting house became the Methodist church. Originally built out of hand-hewn logs, the existing building is of frame construction.

Lexington Presbyterian Church was first organized in 1785 as the Beth-Salem Church. It was located approximately two miles southwest of Lexington. The first building was burned by Indians in 1817, but was rebuilt at the same location and named New Beth-Salem. Because of declining membership, the church was moved to Lexington in 1822 and reorganized as the Lexington Presbyterian Church. The present church building was erected in 1892. John Newton was the first minister of the Beth-Salem congregation. An emigrant from Pennsylvania, Newton brought the Presbyterian faith to Oglethorpe County. Ordained in 1785 by the Presbytery of South Carolina, which at the time included Georgia, Newton was the first Georgia resident to be ordained into the Presbyterian ministry.

Maxeys Christian Church was organized on September 1, 1891. Church services continued in the Masonic Hall until 1894. On March 3, 1894, land was purchased from R. S. Gillan. Many contributed money and labor to the construction of the new church. The First Christian Church of Augusta sent chandeliers.

Mount Pleasant Methodist Church was organized in 1815 when Uncle Robert Smith and his wife grew too feeble to get to church. Neighbors erected a brush arbor with seats of puncheons close to the Smith's house. In 1820, a small house was built and several churches moved their membership to Mount Pleasant. An addition was added to the original building in 1850 and in 1873 the house was improved and glass was put in the windows. The present building was erected in 1899.

Bartram Buffalo Lick: Originally a bare clay pit of approximately one-and-a-half acres, the Bartram Buffalo Lick, located in Philomath, contains iron-bearing clay exposed so that animals can reach it to obtain minerals. The significance of the lick is due to its having no saline properties. The Great Buffalo Lick was also a well-known meeting place and served as a boundary marker in a treaty between Native-American tribes and the English. The lick itself is a natural feature which is of cultural and historical importance.

Cherokee Corner: Five miles northwest of Crawford is Cherokee Corner, the famous council ground for the Creek and Cherokee Indian tribes. The marker placed here explains that Cherokee Corner is on the Indian trail known as the Cherokee Trading Path, which extends from Virginia to Mississippi.

Shaking Rock: Once the site of Native-American camping grounds, the shaking Rock is a natural phenomena that Oglethorpe County shares with Ireland. A 10-15 ton rock sits on top of a mass of granite. The rock was so well poised it could be moved with the pressure of hands. Time and the elements have disturbed the balance, so it can no longer be moved, but the Shaking Rock remains as a symbol of mother nature's greatness.


The Architecture of Oglethorpe County

A building's decorative features and elements provide clues to a building's architectural style. Architectural styles reflect the prevailing fashion of the time, while simultaneously expressing the owner's needs and regional influences. The following is a list of architectural styles found in Oglethorpe County. These buildings are used for residential, religious, and governmental purposes and reflect specific architectural styles.

Building Types

Oglethorpe County is relatively removed from major urban areas and its architecture is a product of its own time and place. Most vernacular buildings reflect the owner's background, occupation, and income. Because of limited access to architects, highly-skilled craftsmen, and building materials, Oglethorpe County's first settlers based their early building designs on traditional building forms and construction methods. Constructed by local builders or slave labor, "folk" houses have very little ornamentation and are easily identified as a house type. The overall character of these house types reflects their function and the needs of their owner.

African-American House Types - In the early 19th century, a one-story, front-gable house began to spread throughout the South. Similar to folk houses found in the West Indies, Haiti, and Africa, this front-gable house (called the shotgun house) is one room wide, one-story tall, and at least two rooms deep. The subtypes of shotgun houses are the single shotgun and the double shotgun. In her work, The Historic Farmstead Architecture of Oglethorpe County, Karen Hudson claims the most common subtype in the county is the double shotgun.

Georgian House Types - The typical Georgian house floor plan is two rooms deep by two rooms wide and divided by a central hallway. Two chimneys on each side can exist on the interior or exterior. A sub-type of the Georgian house type, the Georgian Cottage, includes a one-and-a-half story elevation and is often found in rural areas. The T.H. Hawkins House and the Fielding Dillard House in Arnoldsville are two-story Georgian house types.

The Georgian cottage and the pyramidal cottage bear a strong resemblance to one another. Square in plan, the pyramidal cottage consists of one or one-and-a-half story house with four rooms and no central hallway. The pyramidal cottage type can be differentiated from the Georgian cottage by the absence of the hallway, pyramidal shaped roof, and the absence of two-paired chimneys on each of the building's sides. The Chafin House, located on Church Street in Lexington, is an example of a late 19th century pyramidal cottage.

Pen Type Houses - The term "pen" refers to the single, eave-oriented dwelling that was a sort of building block that evolved over time. The single-pen or "cabin" is the simplest of pen-type houses. The Fielding Dillard Farmstead in Arnoldsville is a 1850 single-pen building, originally used as a dwelling but later as a detached kitchen.

Building additions, such as interior partitions and sidewards additions, allowed home owners to expand their existing living space. Through these building methods, the single-pen evolved into the double-pen house. Eventually, the double-pen developed into its own building form, rather than being an addition to the single-pen. The single-pen's transformation led to the creation of four double-pen subtypes: "hall and parlor," "central hall," "double-pen," and "saddlebag." The two-room, eave-oriented plan, lateral arrangement, timber-frame or light-pine construction, and one to one-and-a-half-story height are elements found in the double-pen subtype. The individual characteristics that separate the double-pen house subtypes from one another is the location of the chimneys, doors, and the presence of a central hallway.  

The hall and parlor subtype evolved by dividing the single-pen into two unequal rooms. The chimney and door are located in the larger room; hence the name "hall and parlor." The Hattie L. McClain House, located in Arnoldsville, is an example of an early 20th century hall and parlor building type.

Another subtype was formed by adding a second partition to the hall and parlor house form, forming an interior hallway between the two rooms. This subtype, called the central hall, usually has one or, more often, two end chimneys and one or two doors. The number of chimneys and doors is often dependent upon whether or not the house was an enlargement of a single-pen or built as a central hall. The M.F. Burt House, outside Vesta, is an example of a central-hall house.

If the central hallway remains open, as if the house was incomplete, it is called a "dogtrot." Doors lead from the breezeway into each of the pens and the chimneys are usually located at the gable ends. Frequently, the open passage of a "dogtrot" is enclosed, causing the house to be confused with a central hall type; thus, making it difficult to find a "dogtrot" in its original condition. "Dogtrot" houses are rare in many counties across Georgia.

Rectangular, single-pen houses were frequently enlarged by adding a single-pen to the gable end without the chimney, resulting in the double-pen house type. The double-pen has one and/or two exterior chimneys. A late 19th century double-pen dwelling exists on the M. F. Burt Farmstead located outside Vesta.

Like the double-pen, most saddlebag houses probably originated from the single-pen type. As one of the most recognizable house types, the saddlebag consists of a central chimney flanked by two rooms. Both the double-pen and the saddlebag generally have two doors that lead into each pen's area. The door's arrangement and location can vary but is most consistent in the saddlebag. An example of a late 19th century saddlebag can be found on West Boggs Street in Lexington.

As Oglethorpe County residents became more affluent, they constructed more elaborate two-story homes. The "I-house" type is found throughout Oglethorpe County and especially in Lexington. Its floor-plan includes a two-room wide by one-room deep arrangement, rectangular in form, and having exterior, gabel-end chimneys. The flour subtypes associated with I-houses include: double pen, hall and parlor, saddlebag, and central hall. Early I-houses (i.e., c. 1780- 1820) may contain Federal style architectural details, especially examples found in Lexington. These early I-houses are uncommon in Georgia; their presence in Lexington has greater importance. The later, more common, I-houses (i.e., c. 1840s-80s) often lack decorative, architectural details and appear more as a popular type of folk architecture.

The plantation plain is another two-story building type. It has either a central hallway or hall and parlor plan. It is easily recognized by its front, two-story block and a one-story section at the rear. The rear section has a shed roof and functioned as an enclosed porch, bedrooms, or kitchen. Many plantation-plain types include a front, shed porch that can resemble the rear section--unifying the house's form. The Daniel-Bryan House in Philomath and The Sims-Brooks House in the Lexington District are both examples of the plantation-plain house type. The plantation plain type is also indigenous to Georgia and the southern states.

Architectural styles

Colonial Revival - Popular in Georgia from the 1890s to the mid-twentieth century, the Colonial Revival style stemmed from a renewed interest in early English and Dutch colonial homes found along the Atlantic and mid-Atlantic regions. Queen Anne elements are also found in early examples of this style. Colonial Revival houses are usually symmetrical, although some possess the asymmetry of the Queen Anne style. The style's identifying features include an entrance surrounded by pilasters or columns, topped with a crown or pediment. Fanlights and sidelights are found around the entrance. Like the original Federal homes, cornices are an important architectural detail. Cornices are often decorated with dentils and modillions. A hipped or side-gabled roof that includes dormers is common. Windows are rectangular, double-hung, and with multi-paned sashes--usually 6/6, 9/9, or 6/1.  The McWhorter-Epps House on Main Street and the Maxwell-Johnson House on Meson Street exemplify early examples of the Colonial Revival style in Lexington.

Oglethorpe County has many Colonial Revival houses that are of the asymmetrical variation, serving as a transition between the Queen Anne style and the Colonial Revival style. Although the dominant influence was the federal style, some Colonial Revival buildings were inspired by Post- medieval English or Dutch Colonial architecture. An example of the Dutch Colonial style is the Maxwell-Boggs House in Lexington. The steeply pitched gambrel roof, with side gables is indicative of this style.

Craftsman - Influenced by the English Arts and Crafts Movement and architecture of the Orient, the Greene & Greene Brothers began the Craftsman Movement in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Until the 1930s, Craftsman was the most popular style throughout the country and in Georgia. In both small towns and cities, Craftsman residences--often called bungalows--appeared everywhere.

The Craftsman style's elements include: "natural" or "earthy" colors of construction materials, such as fieldstone, stained shingles, and earth-colored stucco. Occasionally, bungalows are constructed of brick. These different types of building materials are often used in varying combinations. Craftsman houses have a strong horizontal orientation, emphasized by a low-pitched gable or hipped roof with wide, overhanging, and open eaves with exposed rafters. Gables feature decorative brackets or braces along the eaves. False beams or half-timbering is commonly added under the gables. Porches are supported by short, square columns, resting on massive piers or a solid balustrade. Windows are usually rectangular, and double-hung, with a single-paned, lower sash window and a multi-paned upper sash. Windows are commonly grouped together. As in most towns, there are several Craftsman bungalows in Lexington, such as the Roberts House on Boggs Street, the Gillen House on Main Street, and the Mathews House on Church Street.

Federal - Federal style homes are more highly developed and refined than the preceding Georgian style. Largely inspired by the work of English architect, Robert Adam, the Federal style of architecture was popular in the Georgia Piedmont area from the 1790's to the 1830's. One of the main features of Federal style buildings is their emphasis on symmetricality. Generally rectilinear in plan, Federal homes follow strict design principles. Often the "box plan" is modified with the addition of side wings or attached dependencies. A semi-circular or elliptical fanlight usually exists over the main entrance, including an elaborate door surround with sidelights, a decorative crown, or slender columns and pilasters. Southern variants of the Federal style often have porches, consisting of small, classically inspired, entrance porticos. Double-hung sash windows with multiple panes, usually 6/6 or 9/9, separated by thin mutins, are aligned vertically and horizontally in symmetrical rows. The cornice is often embellished with dentils or other decorative moldings. Roofs were either gabled or low to moderately pitched. Two examples of the Federal style are The Upson-Howard-Evans House, c. 1814, and The Lumpkin-Maxwell- Montgomery House, c. 1790-1827--both houses are located in Lexington.

Folk Victorian - Folk Victorian styled houses are typically folk or vernacular house types with applied Victorian details. Largely the result of the widespread availability of inexpensive pre-cut Victorian detailing, Folk Victorian houses represent an attempt by homeowners to modernize the appearance of older houses and make some stylistic improvements. The Folk Victorian style's identifying features are: porches with spindle work detailing or flat, jig-sawed trim. Detailing can also include gingerbread or other similar elements. Cornice line brackets are common. The Victorian detailing is likely to be found on vernacular house types, such as I-houses, shotguns, and pyramidal cottages. Folk Victorian houses in Lexington include the Paul House on Main Street, the Foster House on Dupree Street, and the Crawford Rental House on Church Street.

Gothic Revival - Inspired by English Medieval architecture and the influential American Architect, Alexander Jackson Davis, Gothic Revival style buildings were constructed between 1840-1880. Although Gothic Revival was not as popular in southern states as it was in the northern states, there are a few examples of the style in Oglethorpe County. Identifying features of the Gothic Revival style are the steeply pitched roofs, which is either side-gabled or front- gabled, earthtoned colors, and pointed and arched windows and doors. Jigsawn vergeboards decorate the gables and porches are often supported by flattened Gothic arches. In the Gothic Revival style, verticality is accentuated by both decoration and design. In England, a revived interest in the liturgy caused many to fervently believe Gothic Revival was the most appropriate style for ecclesiastical architecture. Although Oglethorpe County residents may not have read English ecclesiological theory, the Presbyterian and Baptist churches in Lexington do reflect the influence of the Gothic Revival. Lexington's Knox-American Legion building (c. 1857) is a plantation plain house with decorative arched panels and attenuated clover-leaf columns. These details represent vernacular interpretations of the Gothic Revival style. Throughout Oglethorpe County, steeply-pitched, cross-gabled dormers can be found that reflect vernacular interpretations of the Gothic Revival style.

Greek Revival - The Greek Revival style (1825-1860) affected every strata of Georgian society during its thirty-five year period. Because elements of the Greek Revival style were easily replicated by local builders and the bold, relatively uncomplicated, details of the style were affordable, this style remained immensely popular throughout the South. For those content with their existing home, Greek Revival elements were often attached or added as decorative and stylistic elements to building types. The Greek Revival style soon became a symbol for southern living. Greek Revival buildings are usually rectilinear in form with large, heavy proportions and an emphasis on symmetry. The most recognizable feature of the Greek Revival style is its prominent columns and/or pilasters. The columns often span the entire facade. Many Greek Revival homes have accurately proportioned Greek columns with capitals and bases. Vernacular interpretations have square columns, which were simple and inexpensive to construct. Roofs are usually low-pitched hipped, gabled, or flat. Porches having either less-than-full-width porticos or full-width verandas are supported by classical columns or square piers. A wide band of molding, often undecorated, emphasizes the porch and main roof's cornice. This molding is meant to represent a classical entablature. An elaborate entrance is another dominant feature of this style. The typical central entrance consists of an elaborate door surround containing a rectangular transom and sidelights surrounded by pilasters. Doors are either single or paired, featuring one to eight panels--four being the most common. Double-hung windows, typically with 6/6 sashes, are arranged symmetrically on the facade. In an attempt to imitate marble of ancient Greek temples, Greek Revival houses were almost always painted white. Many Greek Revival homes exist throughout Oglethorpe County. Some examples in Lexington are: The Platt- Brooks-Smith House, The Chedell-Broad-Titus House, and the Willingham-Watkins-Fields House. Other examples of Greek Revival architecture are The Arnold-Armour House in Philomath, The Bush-Harris House in the Grove Creek District, and The Birdsong-Hogan House in the Lexington District.

Italianate - The Italianate style is based on the informal Italian farmhouses and rural villas of Italy. Similar to the Gothic Revival, the Italianate style was a response to ideals of classical art and architecture. Italianate building plans are typically symmetrical in form often in varying shapes. The roofs are usually hipped or gabled. Details of the Italianate style include tall and narrow windows, typically 1/1 or 2/2, and frequently found in pairs. The windows' lentils are arched, curved, or flat, and often topped with elaborate crowns or hoods. Large eave brackets placed under the cornice and underneath the roof's overhang are another distinguishing characteristic of this style. Porches, especially in the South, are relatively restrained and supported by slender columns or square posts with decorative sawn brackets. Large-pane glazing in the doors and elaborate enframements, similar to those over the windows, are not uncommon. These buildings have a vertical emphasis. The Oglethorpe County Jail in Lexington reveals strong, formal Italianate influences, displayed in the hipped roof with the center gable, decorative cornice, bracketed entrance, and arched, hooded windows. In Lexington, the Bush- Turner House on Church Street and the Arnold-Pace House on Main Street, possess Italianate porch details. The Edwards-Byrd House (c. 1859) in the Wolfskin District is associated with the Italianate style.

Queen Anne - The Queen Anne style was inspired by late medieval Elizabethan and Jacobean architecture and represents the most popular architectural style during the turn of the century and into the early twentieth century.  The Queen Anne style's primary characteristics are recognized by an irregular plan and asymmetrical facade-- typically including a steeply pitched roof of irregular shape and a front, cross gable. This style features a variety of materials, textures, and details. Walls are the primary decorative element and are rarely left unornamented. One-story, symmetrical porches are common. Slender turned posts, decorative sawn brackets, and spindlework are found on the porches and in the gables. Gables are also often decorated with patterned shingles or elaborate motifs. Queen Anne doors and window surrounds are often chaste in decorative elements--windows are double-hung with 1/1 sashes and doors are usually half-glazed with delicate decorative detailing. Examples of the Queen Anne style found in Lexington are the Howard-Cunningham House on Main Street and the Gillen Retirement Home and Lallie's Hill on Church Street. A variation of the Queen Anne style is called "free classic" Queen Anne. Popular around the l890's, this sub-type uses more classically inspired details, such as classical porch columns, Palladian windows, and cornices with dentils. The Swan-Mathews House and the C.R. Crawford House on Church Street in Lexington are examples of this variation.

Richardsonian Romanesque/Romanesque Revival - In the mid-1800's, European Romanesque and medieval buildings were used as models for commercial and public buildings. Henry Hobson Richardson, a talented American architect, created this style for large, grand, and free-standing buildings--such as churches, libraries, jails, and courthouses. Richardsonian Romanesque buildings are always constructed of masonry, usually ashlar or brick. Polychromatic surface treatment is often employed through the use of different colored and textured stone or brick. Syrian arches, which spring almost from floor level, are a prominent feature of this style. These arches typically rest on squat columns, massive piers, or are incorporated into the wall surface. Column capitals having naturalistic motifs or interlacing patterns are common. Deeply recessed double-hung windows, typically 1/1, are found in groups of two or more. Colonettes or decorative columns sometimes surround the arched windows. Towers were another popular feature used in the Richardsonian Romanesque style and particularly courthouses. The only example of Richardsonian Romanesque style architecture in the county is the Oglethorpe County Courthouse located in Lexington. Built in 1887, the courthouse is a brick and granite building with a central clock tower. Granite arches, decorative terra cotta, and limestone ornamentation are details contributing to the building's imposing appearance

Top of Page

Back to Oglethorpe County GaGenWeb

You are our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor!

This page was last modified on

Sunday, 02-Apr-2006 21:37:35 MDT

Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 by Jeanne Arguelles