County Maps and Places
|Some of the maps below
are more detailed than others. The two 1865 maps are especially helpful in locating
rivers and streams. The 1894 map contains the names of hundreds of county residents,
and is indexed by militia district (see below).
|Map of Oglethorpe County
Georgia Militia Districts
|1894 Map Index
The 1894 map, drawn by Thomas B. Moss, is especially detailed. It shows
the location of hundreds of residents and homeplaces, as well as rivers, creeks,
churches, schools and other landmarks. The index is divided into three sections;
Residents, Rivers& Creeks, and Landmarks. The map shows the boundaries of the
Georgia Militia Districts, and the index refers to the number of the district where the
name or landmark can be found. For further help in locating the militia districts,
refer to the separate map of Georgia Militia Districts above.
911 Locator Map
The 911 Locator Map, dated 1997, is the most recent current map of the county. It
measures 17" x 22" and is printed on a 22" x 27.5" sheet of paper.
This map is extremely detailed, showing all roads plus many streams and cemeteries.
And index to the map is also available. Cost: $3.00 plus $3.75 shipping.
Orders can be mailed to:
County Board of Commissioners
P.O. Box 261
Lexington, GA 30648-0261
1995 GDOT County Map
This is most recent highway map of Oglethorpe County published
by the Georgia Department of Transportation. Very detailed, showing
many cemeteries and landmarks. This map is online in PDF format;
to view it, you will need Abode Reader, which can be
downloaded for free at www.addobe.com
Historic Sites in Oglethorpe County
Watson Mill Bridge State Park
On the South Fork of the Broad River,
it is the longest covered bridge in Georgia
|Shaking Rock Park
20 ton rock that can be shaken by hand. Also an active beaver pond.
Includes part of the James Monroe Smith Plantation. It once contained over
20,000 acres with its own railroad, hotels, businesses and thousands of laborers.
|Clouds Creek Baptist Church
Founded in 1788 by some of the county's earliest settlers.
The current church was built in 1909.
Built in 1887
Consists of most of the city of Lexington. A beautiful 19th century
county seat town, with buildings on the National Historic Register
National Historic Register District
A representative 19th century academic community. Contains part of the
Bartram trail, and also the Great Buffalo Lick as described by Bartram.
|More details on historic sites
in Oglethorpe County
places below are NOT in Oglethorpe County
was a POW Camp in Macon, Bibb County,
is a city located in
Catoosa County, GA
|City of Oglethorpe
is the county seat of
Macon County, GA
You are our 16981 visitor!
This page was last modified on
Sunday, 02-Apr-2006 21:38:51 MDT
© Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 by Jeanne Arguelles