peach peach

W e l c o m e

T o

Peach County Historical Society

Dedicated to Preserving History

Roads of Peach County | Byron |Fort Valley | Powersville

Fort Valley

In 1821 Georgia had another land lottery and out of this action was created Houston County. In the 1820s a trading post was built in what is now downtown Fort Valley. James Abbington Everett, a North Carolinian, established a trading post because of two Indian trails that crossed here. One trail went from Fort Hawkins in Macon to Barnard's Crossing (now Oglethorpe). The other ran from Benjamin Hawkin's Creek Indian Agency on the Flint River to Old Hartford, which was across the Ocmulgee River at what is today Hawkinsville.

Everett named the little village that was growing around the trading post, Fort Valley after his good friend, Arthur Fort, who was a Revolutionary War Veteran and a legislator from Milledgeville.

Everett was also responsible for getting the railroad through Fort Valley. Although he died before the first train ran, he gave this area a gift which was the way to market peaches.

Fort Valley was incorporated in 1856.

Byron

Published in the Leader-Tribune January 29, 1939. Copied by permission from the Home Journal, published in Perry GA on October 6, 1881

The subject of this article was first known as Jackson station, and is yet called Jackson by many of the S.W.R.R. officials. It was simply a half station and a wood rack kept by Mr. Nimrod Jackson in 1851, hence the name Jackson. It remained simply a wood station surrounded by a dense forest and reached by one highway and a few dim roads until 1860 when the first store house was built by Mr. William Hays and occupied by Mr. Seaborn Hartley, who did a general merchandise business in it.

During the same year a post office was established here name Byron. But to this time the axman had felled but few of the members of the forest here, the surroundings being pretty much as nature had formed them.

In the year 1867 the second store house was erected by Dr. C.H. Richardson. It was then, or about that time, that those residing here and in the vicinity began to discuss the probability and possibility of a town being built here. Some looked on the enterprise with favor, while others entertained the idea that such a project could not and never would be accomplished, but in spite of all opposition and drawbacks the infant town continued to grow slowly but steadily and substantially in population and business till it has grown to be the third town in size in Houston County [1881] and has a population of 300, 160 of whom are white, and about 140 colored.

During the session of the legislature of 1874, application was made to have the town incorporated, and the same was incorporated, under the post office name of Byron. Thomas Sander, T.B. Goff, T.D. Warren, J.C. Parrott, and C.H. Richardson were appointed commissioners of the town.

Byron is situated on a beautiful prominence, the highest point between Macon and Vicksburg, is perfectly healthy, surrounded by a large belt of fine, productive farming lands, owned by an industrious, progressive, solid and successful agricultural people, and has several handsome residences and many pretty cottages. It has also many beautiful oak groves, shade trees, flower gardens, lawns, etc.

It lies directly on the S.W.R.R. 17 miles from Macon, 18 miles from Knoxville, county site of Crawford County, 4 miles from Crawford line, 15 miles from Perry, county site of Houston County, 12 miles from Fort Valley, accessible by railroad, and is penetrated by six public highways leading from different points.

Property here is ready sale when put on the market at a fair price. Rents are also a fair price. The demand usually exceeds the supply. Lands in the surrounding country sell for from $7 to $20 per acres.

Powersville

by Cecil D. Cliett

The town of Powersville is located 21 miles from Macon and was first named Station #1 when the Southwestern Railroad was being built from Macon to Albany in the year 1853-53. Then a more suitable name was suggested by Mr. Alfred M. Cliett, for it to be named for Col. Virgil Powers, who was at that time a civil engineer for the Southwestern Railroad Company. Powersville was an important wood and water station; water from Mule Creek and wood was cut and sold to the railroad company by Mr. Buck Warren.

Sometime later the railroad became the Central of Georgia Railroad and that company spent a considerable amount of money to provide a more convenient way of getting water to the engine than by "bucket brigade". The Central provided a steam pump and two huge water towers. Tom Cliett was pumper for the Center for years, until the tanks were not longer in use. This improvement rated Powersville the best wood and water station in the State at that time.

The coming of the railroad brought about possibilities by the best judges that Powersville was one of the best locations for a cotton factory in Southwest Georgia. The earliest legal council in the area was Judge John Lisenby.

Because of the railroad, Powersville was the transportation center for about a five mile radius surrounding it. People in the area came to Powersville to board the train to go to Macon or Fort Valley. Most people made at least three trips to Macon a year on the train, one for spring supplies, one for pre-school clothing and books, and to do special Christmas shopping. Farmers made trips on the train to buy their fertilizer and farm supplies, then came in their buggies and wagons to meet the train to pick up their supplies when they were delivered there. Most of the melons grown in this area were loaded at Powersville.

Powersville had two stores and five white residences in 1881. Some of the early merchants were: Frank Dukes, John M. Lamar, George N. Allen, and David R. Kersh, Mr. W.E. Warren was one of the first residents who lived in a two story dwelling near the railroad. He was the first station agent and first postmaster when the post office was moved from Bateman's Store in the Sixth District to Powersville. He also had large farming interests.

Industries here included: a grist mill, saw mills, cotton gin, blacksmithing, syrup making, and a licensed Government Distillery at Brown's Mill nearby. The first sawmill was owned by A.K. Fisher, a Canadian.

Powersville was one of the most prosperous farm communities in the area at that time. The lands were of a very high productive type and the farm families lived a very good life.

At one point of its bustling activity, Powersville boasted of being the Watermelon Center of the world. Other farm products grown there were corn, cotton, sugar cane, peanuts, and livestock. Many fruits were here such as apples, pears, peaches, plums, strawberries, grapes. Some of the fresh fruits were enjoyed by passengers on the trains when they stopped for wood and water. An ex-slave woman, Lena Barnes, who worked for my grandfather, J.H. M. Cliett, would meet the trains, go inside and sell fruit to the passengers.

Among some of the first settlers were the Burdens, Barnes, Warrens, Scattergoods, Edwards, Clietts, Lamars, Allens, Chunns, Hays, Fluellens, Englishes, Eptings, Bassetts, Oats, Culpeppers, Nathan Head, Browns, Murray, Rigbys, Elkins, Greenes, Murrays, Howards and Averas. Some of the first teachers were John M. Lamar, Schoolmaster, Mrs. Lucy Lionard, Miss Essie C. McMillan, John Sullivan, and George W. Allen.

The first Congregational Church in Houston County was built in Powersville which is now the Methodist Church here. Mrs. Neta Bassett contributed much toward promoting this church and helping many other people. She built on of the finest homes one could have in that period about 1910. A real landmark today, the home has four huge fluted Corinthian Columns, 14 rooms, spacious grounds with paved drives and walks and a tennis court. This house is presently owned and occupied by Mr. O.C. Lansford. {1939?] Mr. W.H. Carter, St. was one of the first ministers.

Mr. Early English established the first rural telephone system here.

The last early settler and last surviving Civil War Veteran in Peach County was J.H.M. Cliett, who passed away in 1940 at the age of 94. The oldest slave woman to live her life out in Powersville was Savannah Fluellen, who died about 20 years ago at 105 years old [1939?]

Some of these facts were published in the Houston Home Journal, in Perry, GA on Oct 6, 1881 and reprinted by The Leader Tribune on Feb 9, 1939. Other facts came from a publication prepared by Mrs. Mary L. (Green) Smith (Mrs. W.B.) in 1921.
Editorial Note: Cecil D. Cliett resides in the old Cliett home place. It was originally a long house, built in 1866. Three generations of Clietts have lived there, and extensive renovation has taken place.


Roads in Peach County

Many of these are named for the families who lived there. This list was originally put together by Mr. William Mills, researcher in Houston County. The complete Houston County List of roads can be found at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~gahousto/mills.htm#roads

 PEACH COUNTY



Allred Road

Andel Road

Avera Road

Barker Road

Barrow Road

Bateman Road

Borders Road

Brock Road

Byron Road

Burnett Road

Cliett Road

Doles Road

Duke Road

Friendship Church Road

Fulwood Road

Giles Road

Hardison Road

Harper Road

Hartley Road

Hendrick Road

Holland Road

Houser's Mill Road

Irby Road

Joyner Road

Lane Road

Mathews Road

Mosley Road

Murray Road

Norwood Springs Road

Sledge Road

Smith Road

Suber Road

Sullivan Road

Tabor Road

Taylor's Mill Road

Trussel Road

Union Church Road

Vinson Road

White Road

Woolfolk Road



5. FORT VALLEY:



Allen Street

Anderson Avenue

Avera Drive

Barrett Drive

Braswell Street

Brooks Boulevard

Bryant Drive

Calhoun Street

Carver Drive

Cliett Street

Cobb Road

Culler Street

Davidson Drive

Davis Street

Duncan Street

Edward Street

Emory Street

Everett Square

Fagan Street

Farley Drive

Franklin Boulevard

George Avenue

Hampton Street

Hardeman Avenue

Harris Street

Hartley Street

Hiley Street

Hinton Street

Holmes Street

Holsey Street

Holt Road

Howard Street

Hunt Street

Jacobs Alley

Jones Alley

King Street

Lamar Street

Lavender Street

Leighton Avenue

Love Street

Lowe Street

Marion Avenue

Mathews Street

McGee Street

Miller Avenue

Monroe Street

Moore Street

Murray Road

Neil Street

Pearson Mill Road

Persons Street

Powell Street

Ricks Lane

Riley Avenue

Ross Alley

Schley Street

Smith Street

Snow Street

Spalding Street

Spencer Street

Spillers Street

Troutman Avenue

Vinson Drive

Walden Street

Walker Street

White Street

Wilson Lane

Wood Street




Copyright: 2002
Webspace Provided by RootsWeb
Webspace Provided by RootsWeb
,