Quitman Co. Quitman County was created from Randolph and Stewart counties on Dec. 10, 1858. It was Georgia's 128th county and was named for Gen. John A. Quitman, (1799-1858). Quitman, a former governor of Mississippi and veteran of the Mexican War, possessed a stanch belief in states rights. This position made him popular in Georgia. The Georgia Assembly, five months after his death, honored him with the naming of Quitman County.

Georgetown was named the county seat of Quitman County in 1859. Georgetown, whose original name was Tabanana, was changed to Georgetown after a town by the same name in the District of Columbia. Georgetown was incorporated on December 9, 1859.

This County is available for adoption.
Join the Team!