SCHLEY COUNTY CHURCHES
AS TAKEN FROM ELLAVILLE AND SCHLEY COUNTY...an historical sketch by the Schley County Bicentennial Commission, Mickey Holloway and Winifred G. Williams; co-chairpersons, 1976
Andrew Chapel Methodist Church had its beginning in bush arbors near the present site of the the santuary. Rev. Robert Williamson conducted the earliest
services there in 1860 and a log building housed the church until a fire destroyed
it and a new building was contructed in 1872.
The records of the Concord Methodist Church date back to the year 1850 when
John W. Reynolds was listed as the original pastor of the church. The registar of
members dating back to those early days included familiar family names such as
Bridges, Murry, Collins, Dorsey, Souter, Myrick Ethridge, Hill and Snider.
Location: Schley County Road 2080 just South of State Rd 240
located on the Oglethorpe-Ellaville highway, it was organized around 1872 with
the help of Rev. Allen Whellus. Four stuctures have occupied the site since 1936.
Located near the Sumter-Schley county line, it occupies the site of Light
and Tie School near the Dr. Scarborough homeplace. Families connected with this
church's past are Hudson, Holloway, Scarborough, Cheney, Halstead, Peeks Thortons,
McElmurray and Johnson.
Partial Cemetery Listing
Minutes, more history and photos
This church was organized in 1836 near Pond Town. The first pastor was J.J.
Battle. The church was destroyed by a tornado in 1954. The current church was
dedicated in 1955. More on Ebenezer - minutes, photos, membership lists
Rev. Robert Williamson was an early pastor. Families associated with this
church are: McCrory, Manning, Hill, Stevens, Holloway, and Arrington.
The first building was completed in 1860. The current sactuary was completed
in 1912. Families associated with this church are: Rainey, Sears, Battle, Duncan,
Arrington, Tondee, Mott, DeVane, Pelham, Jones, Snipes, Lightner, Driver, Patterson,
Robinson, Peek and Siniard.
This church was organized prior to 1887. Families associated with this church are: Mott, Stewart, Suncan, Robinson, Threlkeld and Cordell. Cemetery on-line
Services were being held at Hopewell before Schley County was formed.
Structures were built on the site in the 1840's, 1860's and again after the Civil
War. It became a full time church in the 1960's. Families associated with this
church are Wall, Snipes, Devane and Snyder. It has a white and Afro-American
on the site.
This church is thought to be one of the oldest in Schley County. The
church building was detroyed several years ago. The church grounds contain a
cemetery still used by several families. Families associated with this church are:
Gilmore, Fulford, Oliver , Hixon and Payne. The Gilmore family cleans the church
cemetery once a year in May.
This church was first organized in a bush arbor. The first leader of the
church was Rev. Elbert Walker. Charles Warren, Mac Wallace, West Green and Newt
Greene were amoung the first members.
This church was built around 1889. The congregation of this church held
services in the early 1800's near Pond town. The building at Pond Town was
destroyed by fire, the group then held services in a bush arbor. Early ministers
were, W.B. Perry, H.C. Coes, and T.C. Cherry. The church choir was organized in
1926 by Mrs. Mary L. Fudge and Mrs. Virginia Trice.
Church records show the church was founded in February of 1835. Names
associated with this church are Murry, Lee, Battle, Stewart and Hamilton. James Murray (-1877 ) was an elder and one of the first pastors. Son, James Monroe Murray (1853-1930)was active in affairs of
Phillippi Church, ordained 10-4-1902, summoned as pastor immediately.
The church was disbanded in the 1970's as the members passed and since then the cemetery has been maintained by descendants using the contributions of kin and caring individuals. If you can help with ongoing maintenance, please send your check made payable to the Phillippi Cemetery Fund to:
Central Bank of Georgia
Attn/ Kenneth Phillips
Phillippi Cemetery Fund
P.O. Box 45
Ellaville, GA 31806
PLEASANT HILL FREE WILL BAPTIST
ROCKY HILL PRIMITIVE
This church was organized in 1892, as an outgrowth of Phillipi Primitive for
Afro-American citizens. The first pastor was Elder A.S. Stewart. Early deacons
were: G.B. Battle, P.K. Kendred and E.M. Moore.
Spring Hill Methodist was organized by Rev. Fields of Americus. It was put
on the circuit with Union Hill A.M.E in 1870.
Rev. Jessie Dinkins organized this church as a place of worship for the
African Methodist of Ellaville, around 1867.
Click |Back to the top| Schley Co Page
| GA USGenWeb State Page|USGenWeb Page