This county, created by Act of the Legislature Dec 22, 1857, is named for William Schley, member of Congress 1833-35 and Governor 1835-37.
Ellaville is named for Ella Burton, daughter of Robert Burton who sold the land for the townsite. Nearby Pond Town was settled in 1812.
First county officers were Ordinary Wm. J. May, Clerk Hirma L. French, Sheriff A.J. Womach, Tax Collector Henry D. Holt, Coroner Ben T. Smith, Representative Seaborn Hixon, State Senator Charles Edwards, Inferior Court Judges Johnson Spring, Jas Murray, Robt Burton, G.W. Johnson, R.W. Wilkinson.
(At the Courthouse in Ellaville)
Located on the border between Sumter and Marion counties, Pond Town became a lively little community with horse racing and whiskey drinking as favorite amusements. A post office was established in 1833 with Lovit B. Smith as postmaster.
In 1840, there was a migration of some 20 families which almost depopulated Pond Town. At this date there was as yet no church building. A Baptist congregation was organized in 1843.
Schley County was formed in 1857 and a central site was chosen as the county seat. This site, Ellaville, was 1/2 mile north of Pond Town. Ellaville's character in 1859 effectively sealed Pond Town's fate, and several families moved their houses to the new site.
Today the site of Pond Town is occupied by the city cemetery.