Click on thumbnail to view full size
Rising Sun School about 1911
Rising Sun School was at County Line United
Methodist Church and closed in the fall of 1930 when school buses
started in Spalding County. The students went to Sunny
Side School which was across the road from Sunny Side United
Methodist Church. At the first of 1931, the new Sunny Side
School opened in the building that is now occupied by the Christian
Women's Center. [1990 news article] In the mid 30s, the old
Rising Sun School was torn down and the lumber hauled to the new
Sunny Side School by one of the school trustees, the late Wallace
Steele and his two sons, the late Arch Steele and Leroy Steele who
lives on Birdie Road. One of the first school lunchrooms in
Georgia was built from this lumber and it was the first lunchroom in
Spalding County. The late Mrs. Hartford Green was principal at
Sunny Side when Rising Sun School was consolidated with Sunny Side.
Miss Penny Kennedy, now Mrs. Loring Kilgore, Miss Thelma Scott and
the later Mrs. Homer Gay were the teachers at Sun Rise. Mrs.
Kilgore's salary was $70 per month for nine months a year. The
students in this photo are: front, from left, Walter Stevens, E. D.
Moore, who now lives on Kennedy Road, Idus Linder, George Linder,
Claud Starr, Parker Brown, Charles Dunn, unknown, Kitrell, Howard
Kitrell and Argin Brown;
second row, Lucille Beasley, Gladys Starr, Blanche
Beasley, Essie Toland;
third row, Emma Dunn Wesley, Addie Stevens, Ollie
Stevens, Guy Wesley, unknown, Annie Coleman, Ethyl Elder;
fourth row, Luther Toland, Eunice Bates, William
Wesley, Myrtice Coleman Goodson, now a resident of the Living
Center, teacher Ed Elder, Opal Starr, Marvin Elder, Mae Beasley and
Steve Clay Brown.
Submitted by Bob Ellis. Thanks Bob!
This page was last updated
Return to Schools
Return to Home
All Rights Reserved