Search billions of records on

Jackson News - 1882

The Spalding County GAGenWeb Project


Jackson News - Week of May 10, 1882

A. B. Doyle - To Hang
A. B. Doyle has been sentenced to hang on the 29th of June for the murder of Hancock, at Griffin, Georgia

Jackson News - Week of May 10, 1882

Doyal's Statement
We copy from the Griffin News, the statement of Doyal, the murderer of Hancock, whose trial was had in the Superior Court of Spalding county, last week:

On the Saturday night proceeding the difficulty, I and Tom Davis and others were drinking and going around to billiard rooms &c., and Davis and I finally went to his house and went to bed. About 8 o'clock Sunday morning we got up and went down together to get a drink. We got one and that was all, and walked up Hill Street, and while Davis went down an alley, I walked to the stair case leading up over Hesselkus & Pattrick's and leaning up in the entrance waiting for him.  He did not come quick enough, and I started behind McKee's harness shop after him. Mark Hancock, Chas Ison and some one else were standing in front of Lower's shop talking. Just as I went to turn the corner, Hancock walked up in an abrupt way and said "You get off these streets, or I will put you in the guard house," and he jerked me along. I never resisted, but he called Charlie Ison, and we past on down the alley between Morris and Clark's store. I asked why they had picked me up. Hancock raised his club and said, "You d- - n scoundrel, you have been tantalizing me for some time."  I said, "Yes you will not hit me." This was 9 o'clock in the morning, he locked me in the guardhouse - and never give me water. A gentleman, Ben Lutrall, stepped into the engine house next door, and I asked for some water and he passed it to me. I asked him to see Charlie Doe and Mr. White, to have them get me out, which was done. I went up street and never said anything to Hancock. I was mad, though I never told anybody that I would kill Hancock. I went on up town and joined a crowd, but stayed and got a drink or two, but never said anything to anybody about the matter. Next morning a gentleman told me to watch out for Hancock. I asked him the reason, and he said he was a bad man; but I never said anything about it
to anybody. I was about town during the week and met Hancock several times. I spoke to him politely and he gave me a severe rebuke, which confirmed my idea that he would kill me. I never said anything to anybody about it. Friday night I left on business down in Pike county. I came back the next day and Hancock was off duty. I knocked bout on Hill Street in the afternoon and never saw him until 4 o'clock. A gentleman scat me with a note for a pistol; I could not get it and told him that I would borrow one. I went down to Dock Jason's and across to the Globe (___?____). I know the weapon was there because I left it there. I walked out and stepped down on the platform in front, walking towards Goddard's going diagonally across, with my head down. The first I saw of Hancock he accosted me with, "You have been talking about me, G - d   d- - m you, long enough"; I stepped back slowly and told him to stop. He put his hand up here (indicating his rear hip pocket). I knew Hancock was a violent man, having heard of it in several instances. (Witness here gave a number of instances). I have also seen him use his club. Hancock and me were never in outs particularly. I policed for him and others.   When I kept backing he kept coming and told me he was off duty now and it would have to be settled up. I says, "Mark, I will hurt you."  He finally said "D - - n you, you have drawn it on me, and you will have to use it."  His hand was up toward his hip pocket, which was the first thing that caused me to draw the repeater. As I fired Hancock turned to the right, and he threw his hands here (to his stomach).  As I did it, I cocked repeater and kept moving back. As I saw he was not coming to me I pulled the repeater blow and shot it off.

The crowd followed me and I surrendered, after running down the alley.

Nobody was present when I was put in the guardhouse except Ison and Hancock. Hancock evidently intended violence. I kept stepping back. I knew he kept a pistol in his pocket.

The State introduced the following evidence in rebuttal of the prisoner's statement:

Col Johnson, direct - Remember the occasion; saw Doyal on Saturday evening pretty late on the street; about ten steps from the well. Doyal passed me; he was going from Clark's corner to Charlie Johnson's; as he passed me says he, "I'll get him;" did not appear to be mad; I walked in about five steps, heard a pistol and turned; It was not more than two or three minutes between; when I heard pistol I whirled around and saw a man turned from Doyal; Doyal was holding a pistol in his hand, fired second shot at retreating man.

This closed the whole testimony in the case.

The court adjourned until 8 o'clock this morning.

Jackson News - Week of May 17, 1882

Doyle Moved to Atlanta
Alfred Doyle, the Griffin murderer has been brought to Atlanta and lodged in Fulton county jail for safe keeping.

Jackson News - Week of June 7, 1882

Aleck Parish Obituary
Mr. Parish - Suicided

A dispatch was received May 30th from Senoia says the Griffin News, Aleck Parish formerly of this city had suicided there. Mr. Parish was a stonemason, about thirty years old, and had moved to Senoia only a few months ago.

The life of Aleck Parish was an eventful, and it might be called an accidental one. Early in his career he fell out of a tree and broke a limb. Next he was thrown off the track by a locomotive. Then he was blown out of a well, is which he was at work, by an explosion. He was run over by Kemble Jackson on a race course, and thought to have been killed. Again, he was hit over the head by a rock and his skull broken. In a difficulty at Hampton he had a jaw broken.

After seeing the performance of Luke at Coup's circus, he jumped off a spring board in the woods and broke his back. It is said that one time he was caught in the wheel of a running wagon and had his collar bone broken.

And now, tired of being the sport of Fate, he has taken his own life.

He leaves behind him at Senoia a wife and three children; and at Griffin a mother and brother and two sisters, all of whom have our sympathy.

Jackson News - Week of July 26, 1882

Hammond Mortally Wounded
A difficulty occurred between two young men of Griffin, on last Friday night by the names of Hammond and Lytle, in which Hammond  was mortally wounded with a pistol from the effects of which he died. The difficulty grew out of an old feud. Lytle was confined in jail, but we learn has since been released, it having been (____?______) that his skull was broken. Hammond was employed in Keeley's branch store.

Jackson News - Week of September 20,1882

Col. Jas H. Logan
Col. Jas H. Logan of Griffin is dead.


File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Don Bankston January 19, 2005




The information contained on this website is submitted by volunteers and is not intended for commercial use. Information remains the property of the submitter. Unauthorized use of content in this website is strictly prohibited.

Compilation Copyright 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 [Beth Shaw ]. All rights reserved.