Railroads of Griffin

The Spalding County GAGenWeb Project

Several Railroad’s serviced the Griffin area over time the following is a list of the ones servicing Griffin.

  1. The Monroe Railroad Company, Chartered in December 1883, ran between Macon and Forsyth. In 1845 was sold to Daniel Tyler then became the new Macon & Western Railroad. In 1846 the line to Atlanta was completed. The M&W became part of The Central Railroad of Georgia in 1871-1872.

  2. The Savannah, Griffin & North Alabama Railroad, Chartered in 1854 operated between Griffin and Newnan from 1870 to 1872 when it was extended to Carrollton. In 1890 the SG&NA was sold under foreclosure to Savannah & Western Railroad.

  3. The Georgia Midland & Gulf Railroad was chartered in 1885 ran from Columbus to McDonough started in 1886 completed 1887. The GM&G went into receivership in 1895 became controlled at that time by Southern Railways.

Information from

Georgia’s Railroad History and Heritage

Submitted by

Bob Ellis Duluth Ga., October 10, 2005

 

The information contained on this website is submitted by volunteers and is not intended for commercial use. Information remains the property of the submitter. Unauthorized use of content in this website is strictly prohibited.

website, graphics and design by your webmaster.

Copyright © 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 [Beth Shaw ]. All rights reserved.