Talbot County GAGenWeb
a proud part of
Trish Elliott-Kashima, County Coordinator
If you have any records to add or a correction, please send to Trish Elliott-Kashima
Please send any histories or historic photos of the churches of Talbot County
|Collingsworth Methodist Menifee's Meeting House||Ephesus Progressive Primitive Baptist|
|Concord Baptist Church||Evans Chapel|
|Junction Baptist Church||Horeb Primitive Baptist Church|
|Sardis Methodist Church||Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church|
|Union Primitive Baptist Church||Valley Grove Baptist Church|
|Woodland Baptist Church||A Typical Methodist Family|
Mt Zion Baptist Church - Columbus Baptist Assn was held at Mt Zion Baptist Church 28 Sept 1862
|County Line Baptist - Columbus Baptist Assn was held at County Line Baptist Church in Talbot County 25 Sept 1864.|
United Methodist Church. Talbotton. Part of the Flint
River Mission of which Talbot County was included.
When Talbotton was incorporated 20 Dec 1828 and a lot
was set aside for a Methodist church which was deeded to
them on 25 June 1831. A large wooden building was built
to house the church and in 1857 a handmade brick church
was built by Miranda Fort. It is amongst the oldest brick
churches of the South Georgia Conference.
(Need a historic photo of the early Antioch Baptist Church please)
Antioch Baptist Church , organized in 1829 is southeast of Carsonville Planter's Academy
Robert Carson also deeded (April 6, 1842) to Planters Academy, an adjoining
acre of land next to the Methodist Church. (Land Lot #131, 24th Land
District). The Trustees at the time were John Carson, William P. Edwards,
John Emerson, Nathaniel Raines, Richard B. Rucker and Howell Short. Edwards
and Rucker were prominent farmers, slaveholders and owners of large acreage
(Talbot Co at that time). This early school was incorporated in 1835.
Antioch Baptist Church in located in what is now Taylor County. Early Member list is
shown here. 1829 membership: Ichabod Cox, Mary (Rowan) Cox, William T Burk and
Epsy Ann (Collins) Burk, Lemuel Cos, William Rushin, George Palmer, Martha Palmer,
Caroline Powell, Tom of color, Judy of color, Rev Henry Bell, Caroline S (Fickling) Cox,
Mary (Cox) Rushin, Nancy Moore, Mary Hudgins, Anthony Rich, Richard B Ruckner
and Cyrena W Rucker, Mason of color, Emily of color, Maranda Powell, Richard B
Hudgens, Thomas Crowley, Sally Mathews.
History of Antioch Baptist Church is located at this link.
Church, founded in the 1830's.
Built in the 1848. The galleries above were for
the slaves. The church is open by appointment.
Architect/builder was Richard Upjohn.
The altar, pulpit and prayer desk were all made
of local walnut.
The pipe organ is a Pilcher and is still operated
by hand. It was installed in 1850 and has been in
continuous use since that time.
This page was last updated on -08/11/2017
Compilation Copyright 1999-Present by The GAGenWeb