Talbot County GAGenWeb
a proud part of
Trish Elliott-Kashima, County Coordinator
If you have any records to add or a correction, please send to me
Communities in Talbot County
located in the south eastern part of the county, shown in 1899
shown on a 1899 map in the south western portion of Talbot County
A community shown on a map of Talbot County on 1899, to the west of Grenada
An early settlement on the Southwestern Rail Road, the railway that ran between Macon and Columbus. Later it served as the juncture of the Talbotton
Railroad line with the Southwestern, and still later, the Atlantic, Birmingham & Coast. Located in the 16th Land District. When Bostick got its first post
office in 1881, the US Post Office discovered there was another Bostick in Georgia, so the name of the community was changed to Paschal. Junction
City grew up around Paschal, and when it was incorporated in 1906, most of Paschal was also included. Junction City was an important shipping
point for the sand "mined" there.
Box Springs is in the SW corner of Talbot co, with Baker Creek the county line with Muscogee Co. -- 2 or 3 miles from the East city limits of Columbus.
Take out of Columbus Hwy US80 / GA22 (in town this hwy is called the Macon road). Early settlers were: Wiley Pope, James & Edith Rogers
Parker, John & Elizabeth DuBose King, Richard & Milly Garrett Hollis, Rogers, Fort, Benjamin & Amazon Johnson Emanuel, John W. G. &
Lucinda Milner Smith, Joseph E. & Sarah McNeil Biggs, Wiley & Martha Pope, Jacob & Sarah Funderburk, Reason Edge & Nancy Hollis,
Archibald Calhoun (Colquhouns),and Wellborn G. Davie. Benjamin J. King was the first postmaster in 1853, followed by Hezekiah D. Williams in 1855.
The Act of 1796 established the Creek Indian Reservation on the Flint River, in what was later to become Talbot Co. President George Washington
appointed Benjamin Hawkins the Indian Agent, and he settled in the area in 1803. The reservation & Agency soon attracted other settlers.
Well known for his decent, just and humane treatment of his charges, and as a generous & hospitable host, Hawkins developed a prosperous plantation
before his death in 1816. Visitors from far and near came to call, often stopping there as they proceeded across the Creek Nation.
John & Robert Carson were early settlers to the area, arriving around 1835 or earlier. Carsonville was named for the brothers. Carsonville's first
postmaster was William A. Skellie, appointed in 1839, followed by Robert Carson, George W. Davis, Henry H. Mangham and William S. Wallace. T
he post office there was discontinued March 1855. On January 15, 1852, the Carsonville area was included in the portion of Talbot Co given to the
formation of Taylor Co.
When Centreville was surveyed & laid out on Land Lot 221, 23rd Land District, Centerville GMD 877, it was intended to be the county seat. A square block was reserved in the middle of the town for a courthouse, but Talbotton, a few miles away, was chosen instead. Although originally named Centreville, the name has shortened to Centerville through usage. Not much is known concerning the formation of the settlement. Apparently a Corporation was set up to sell the land,
with John T. Booth, Joseph Brown, William T. Burke, Ichabod Cox, Archibald Grey, Robert Howe, James Mason, Joseph Riley, Richard B. Rucker, William
Searcy, John Tamplin, Arthur F. Walker, William L. Walker and William Williamson as stock-holders. John C. Boynton was appointed as their agent
and representative, to sell the lots. Known purchasers:Lot 1 Thomas G. Pearson $90; 2 Reserved for Academy; 3 Thomas G. Pearson $90;
4 Thomas G. Pearson $90; 9 James Mason; 10 James Mason; 21 Ferrell; 22 Cook; 23 Lunsford.
Other early residents were Lewis & Matilda Garrett Wimberly, Jacob & Martha Carreker, William Thornton, Robert & Margaret Boyd Foster. The
town was incorporated in Dec 21, 1833. John B. Boon, William Collin, Gillam Hicks, Thomas G. Pearson and Dr Hamilton P. Smead were
appointed as the first Commissioners, until the first elections were held January 1835. Thomas G. Pearson became the first postmaster in 1833, followed
by Charles H. McCall in 1838, 1844 by Joseph M. Roberts, William A. Campbell in 1845, A. C. McCoy in 1846, and Simon T. Viele in 1848, until it
was discontinued in January 1867. The Centerville Store became the hub of the community. Built about 1836, probably by John C. Boynton. The necessities
of life could be found there, groceries, tools, clothing, dry goods, patent medicines, tobacco, notions, hardware, the latest news and gossip, and
shown in the southern part of the county on a 1899 map
Located in the northwest section of Talbot, it is just southwest of Hodo's Gap, and thus on one of the early pioneer trails where the Hodo family kept
a trading post. Some of the early families settling in this area included, Hodo, Mullins, Moran, Mulholland, Smith, Kellum, Brakefield, Hanson, Roberts,
Grant, Rush, and Fuller.
Geneva is located near Manchester.
Previously an existing & prosperous farming community, with a but a few businesses, it quickly became one of the most wealthy trading centers for this
area upon the completion of the Muscogee Railroad Company's track in 1852. Thomas Jordan was said to have built the first home here, a log cabin,
which was later used as a community building, a church and a schoolhouse. Robert H. & Rebecca Hammock McBryde settled near Geneva, some 5 miles
south of Talbotton, about 1832, and developed a stagecoach stop there. The house is across the road from the Methodist Central Camp Ground developed
in 1875. The McCrary brothers, Matthew McCrary, Jonathan B., and William & McCrary came into Talbot County before 1830. They built their plantations
adjoining one another in the Geneva area about 1830. Jonathan and William purchased the Thomas Jordan lands whereon Geneva is now standing.
Isaac R. McCrary had a store before the railroad came through the area.
In about 1850, when the Muscogee Railroad began laying its rail between Columbus, Muscogee Co to Wolf Pens (Butler), then Macon Co, Jonathan B.
McCrary envisioned a railroad town on this land & contracted to sign over the rail right of way, the site for the depot and "turn around" to his new
partners, John D. Gray of Bibb Co, Bodwell E. Wells of Murray Co, and Samuel G. Jones of Montgomery, Ala who was a prominent builder of Alabama
rail lines. Development of the Geneva area real estate began with these 4 owners of Geneva. The Muscogee Rail Road, had began operation to
build through from Columbus to Butler, and on to Macon, and the first train reached Geneva June 10, 1852. The surveyors for the Railroad,
Wells & DuBose, were hired to survey & lay out the lots in Geneva. These lots were up for sale in the fall of 1852. Geneva was widely and
enthusiastically promoted as a new shipping point to plantations in Talbot Co and neighboring counties, to newly arriving settlers, businessmen,
farmers, commercial endeavors, peddlers plying their trade, freight companies, passenger lines real estate speculators, and the building trade,
Various entertainment, such as sight seeing excursions, picnics and cookouts, were held to attract the interested and the curious. Notable political
figures, such as President Millard Fillmore, and his entourage, and others were given much fanfare and publicity. Figures vary, but
between 1875-1880, Geneva was receiving more cotton than any point between Columbus and Fort Valley, with an average of 10,000 bales
received & shipped each year. Guano fertilizer, cotton, corn, & other produce was shipped through Geneva.
In 1853, J. B. McCrary & John T. McBryde built a general merchandise store, Sam Koockogey built the Koockogey Hotel, and John G. White built the
White House Hotel, John D. Gray & Van Pelt built a general merchandise store, Hammack & Goolsby built a barroom and blacksmith shop,
McBryde & Bros. had a general store, Dr Charles B. Leitner and Albert T. Candler of Columbia Co, Ga moved to Geneva in 1854, and were prominent
in developing the area building a sawmill and owning various businesses in the community. Bussey & Jordan, of Columbus, erected 2 large cotton
warehouses, Hope H. Hammack built a cotton warehouse. Large, beautiful, and stately mansions were built by Joseph A. Hagerman, Dr
Charles B. Leitner, Albert T. Candler, Jonathan B. McCrary, Charles Kaufman, Ansel Turner, Isaac Cheney, Benson C. Bailey, Perry A. S.
Morris, among others. Other early settlers were: George & Nancy Nash Jameson, William Terrell Cosby, Whitmel & Nancy Eason.
The first post office was established here in 1852, and Sam Koockogey was the first postmaster, succeeded by Edward G. Harvey in 1854. Most of the
town businesses burned March 24, 1865, including the railroad depot and freight station, the Koockogey Hotel and stores nearby, and most of the
cotton warehouses. When Columbus fell to the Yankees April 16, 1865, the Union army headed for Macon, passing through Geneva. They torched most
of the remaining stores. The town was incorporated in 1870 with a commissioner form of government, and J. T. Candler, John Durden, George W. Jordan,
Charles B. Leitner, John T. McBryde, Perry Morris and Anderson W. Wynn were named first council members. In 1913, the charter was changed, to a
mayor and council type government.
Near the central part of the county, shown on a map from 1899
Junction City is in the south east part of Talbot County. Located in the southeast corner of Talbot, Junction City was incorporated August 21, 1906. First
mayor was F.A. Montgomery and councilmen: J.H.Mayo, C.W. Pye, C.W. Moore, J.M. Gilbert and J.H. Hackson. Earlier this area was known as
Bostwick. See above Bostwick for more information.
Juniper or Juniper Station
Located on the county line in Meriwether and Talbot County
A community north east of Talbotton, shown on a map from 1899.
unincorporateed part of Talbot County
In the northern portion of Talbot County, shown on a map from 1899. An outgrowth of an old Indian trail used by indians, settlers, traders and
travelers, Pleasant Hill is the gateway to Talbot Valley, and into Meriwether Co. Businesses gradually built up in the community, becoming the main
trading point for that area of the county, and in 1876 there were 7 General Stores, 2 grocery stores, 1 clothing store, 1 carriage shop, a doctor and a drug
store, a Masonic Hall, and 4 churches. A Post Office was established here in 1832, with John Thomas appointed as the first postmaster. He was followed
in 1833 by Francis Douglass, Joseph Lloyd in 1834, Stephen Carter in 1836, and Robert H. Dixon in 1838.
Among the first settlers, Dickson & Luraney Cureton. Abner and Sallie Baugh Woodall, Hardy & Charlotte Wheelus, George W. Evans, DuBignon,
George D. Chambless, Edwin & Mary J. Nelson, John Pye, Seth & Sallie Hunter, Isaac & Elizabeth Middlebrooks Cheney, Peter F. Mahone and Jeptha
& Jemima Spears Sprewell,
Small town near the border of Taylor County, shown on a 1899 map. Twelve miles NE of Talbotton, close to the Taylor Co line, and built up on Land
Lots 57, 74, 56 & 75, 24th Land District. Early settlers were William Parker, Josiah & Jane Brown Mathews, Tapley Booth, Nathaniel Raines, John Dennis,
Edwin Callier, John H. Wallace, Walton Thomas & Sabrina Mathews Carter, Dr William & Martha Winfrey Drane, Cassandra Magruder Drane,
Rev Zackariah "Uncle Zeke" Stearns, Joseph & Mary Brown, Young & Martha Daniel, Catherine Brown. The first postmaster was Silvester S. Radney,
in 1833, followed by James M. Harvey in 1842.
Located in the Flint Hill District, on northwest side of Talbot, this community came into existence around 1828, and the Methodist Church was organized
there soon afterward. Sardis was a fast growing community, surrounded by large plantations. Early families were Pickard, Ellison, Reid, Garrett,
Pound, Foster, Crawford, Chapman, Buchanan, Hendricks, Jenkins, Collier, Rush and others. The pioneer Methodist preacher, Leonard Rush moved
to Sardis in 1836 and lived here until he died in 1897.
Founded in 1828 as the county seat of Talbot County. It was the site of
the first Georgia Supreme County in 1846. Named for Matthew Talbot
as the county was. Talbotton is centrally located in Talbot County.
An unincorporated part of Talbot County, located in the NW Flint Hill Dist in the early 1900's. Tax was named because it was the place there county
tax officials made a stop to collect the taxes. R.C. and J O Fryer - Dealers in General Merchandise with the post office and cotton gin were the main
establishments. Early families included the Russells, Fryers, Colliers and others.
an unincorporated part of Talbot County
Located in the north central section, this is one of the newer community, being formed July 30, 1908. W.T. Smith was the first mayor and J.L. Jackson,
W.W. Woodall, S.O. Bryan, I.B. Butler and J.T. Russell served as Councilmen. Before Woodland was formed, the only building was the Presbyterian
Church. The spot was selected by A.B. & A Railroad to be a station (rather than Bellvue, a mile further south) The chief engineer of the surveying
company was Boonyman, but there was already a station by that name. So Woodland was selected after C.S. Woods of Virginia, who had purchased
the surrounding lands and laid off the town lots.
A community on the border of Upson County, shown on a 1899 map.
Community in the north eastern part of Talbot County, shown on an 1899 map. Approximately 9 miles northeast of Talbotton, one of the oldest
communities in the county, laid out in 1825. It boasted of an early postoffice and in 1976, a still substantial number of residents. It was named for
the Greek War of Independence patriot, Demetrios Ypsilanti (1798-1832) Its other name is Red Bone. Early settlers were William V. Collier, Thomas
Callier, Dr William Drane, Thomas Freeman in 1842, the Ingrams, Thomas Reid Lumsden, Thomas & Matilda Jones Matthews, William Parker, Charles
Lee & Martha Glenn Smith, Rev "Uncle Zeke" Stearns.
This page was last updated on -08/11/2017
Compilation Copyright 1999-Present by The GAGenWeb