Talbot County GAGenWeb
A proud part of
If you have any records to add or a correction, please send to Trish Elliott-Kashima
Carsonville Planter's Academy
Antioch Baptist Church , organized in 1829 is southeast of Carsonville Planter's Academy Robert Carson also deeded (April 6, 1842) to Planters Academy, an adjoining acre of land next to the Methodist Church. (Land Lot #131, 24th Land District). The Trustees at the time were John Carson, William P. Edwards, John Emerson, Nathaniel Raines, Richard B. Rucker and Howell Short. Edwards and Rucker were prominent farmers, slaveholders and owners of large acreage (Talbot Co at that time). This early school was incorporated in 1835.
This was perhaps the first Manual Labor school in Georgia. It was the dream of Josiah Flournoy of Columbus, to establish a manual labor school for boys in 1837. Talbotton was selected because of its central location for the region. At that time Talbotton was thriving and a recognized business and cultural center supporting education. Mr. Flournoy made a proposal to Talbot County that he would put up $40,000 if they would raise $20,000 locally. They accepted but the "Panic of 1837" struck, and Mr. Flournoy was unable to sell the lands in Alabama that he had planned--and Talbot Co subscribers refused to go through with the plan. But Mr. Flournoy didn't give up. He created a Stock Company to raise funds, and with some "public spirited men" of Talbot was able to proceed with the project. A tract of land (600 acres) one mile south of Talbotton was purchased. It was named for John Collinsworth, a Methodist Minister, and a close friend of Josiah Flournoy. GA Laws 1838 p. 152 "The first trustees named in the Act of General Assembly: Ignatius A. Few, Samuel K. Hodges, Lovick Pierce, Josiah Flournoy, Seaborn Jones, John Flournoy, Miranda Fort, Barnard Hill, Charles A. Brown, James D. Dismukes, James J. Tooke, and Jacob A. Clements."
The Manual School was not a success and it became a preparatory school for Methodist boys entering college.
Talbotton Female Academy ~ LeVert College
This academy was one of the first all-female colleges established in Georgia (in 1830)
Acts of the General Assembly of the State of Georgia, Passed in Milledgeville, at a biennial
session, in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March 1855-1856. Compiled by John W Duncan. (1855 Vol. 1 -- Page: 280-281 Sequential Number: 224; Law Number: (No. 223.) Full Title: An act to change the name of the Talbotton Female Academy, in Talbot County, Georgia, located at Talbotton,
to that of "Levert College," to incorporate the same, and to confer certain powers on the board of Trustees therein mentioned. 1. Section I. Be it enacted, &c., That from and after the passage of this act, the name of the "Talbotton Female Academy," located at Talbotton, Talbot county, Georgia, be and the same is hereby changed to that of "Levert College," and that Thomas B. Turner, Thomas A. Brown, Allen F. Owen, Josiah M. Mathews, Edmund H. Worrell, James P. Leonard, and John T. Blount, heretofore the Trustees of said "Talbotton Female Academy," and William B. Marshall, Harrison W. Hagerman, Anderson W. Wynn, William M. Brown, Francis M. Murray, David Kendall, Washing C. Cleveland
and Hiram Drane, be and they are hereby constituted a board of Trustees for said College, and that they and their successors be and they are hereby
made and declared a body politic under the name and style of the Trustees of "Levert College."
This page was last updated on -08/11/2017
Compilation Copyright 1999-Present by The GAGenWeb