A History of Crawfordville
Crawfordville, the county-seat of Taliaferro, was named for the great William H. Crawford, who, next to Mr. Stephens, was perhaps Georgia's greatest statesman. The town was incorporated by legislative act, on December 27, 1826, with the following named commissioners, to-wit: Herman Mercer, Thomas Chastain, Wylie Womack, Sherwood Towns, William Little, John Murphy, and John W. Jordan. Stephens Institute, located here, is a flourishing high school. Crawfordville is not a large town, but as the old home of Alexander H. Stephens, the Confederate Vice-President, it is one of the political meccas of America.
Knight, Lucian Lamar. Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials and Legends,
Atlanta, Georgia, Byrd Printing Company, 1913-1914. page 982