A General History of Taliaferro County
Laid out from Wilkes, Warren, Hancock, Greene, and Oglethorpe in 1825; a part taken from Hancock in 1828; and parts taken from Wilkes in 1828 and 1835. Named after Colonel Benjamin Taliaferro. Length, 16 m.; breadth, 11 m.; area square miles, 176.
Little River, and the North and South forks of the Ogechee, are the chief streams. There are excellent lands in this county. Crawfordville is the county town, situated on the Georgia Railroad, 45 miles N.E. of Milledgeville.
Among the early settlers were, Geo. Tilley, Wm. Evans, Marcus Andrew, Asa Alexander, Wm. Little, S. Creighton, Wm. Gunn, Amos Stewart, H. Ellington, B. Jones, G. Kent, A.B. Stephens, W. Anderson, R. King, N. Chapman, A. Gresham, S. Harris.
Extract from the Census of 1850 -- Dwellings, 408; families, 408; white males, 1,082; white females, 969; free colored males, 28; free colored females, 23. Total free population, 2,102; slaves, 3,044. Deaths, 88. Farms, 294; manufacturing establishments, 16. Value of real estate, $1,272,265; value of personal estate, $1,781,112.
In the year 1800, a number of Roman Catholics emigrated from Maryland
and established a church at Locust Grove.
Back to the Taliaferro County GAGenWeb