Saturday, 30-Oct-2004 09:37:53 MDT GAGenWeb Page

BUTLER

Modern day Butler

Early History
Looking for a site for the county seat of the new county, the area known then as Fifty Mile Station on the Muscogee Railroad that began at Columbus, was chosen because it was in the center of the county. The area had gone by various names--Mt. Pleasant, Wolf Pen. Another railroad was being built from Fort Valley (Houston/Peach County) to meet the Muscogee RR in Butler with a turntable on the eastern side of Butler, to let each engine be turned around for the return trips.

Lucien Lamar Knight in Georgia's Landmarks, Memorial and Legends, says,'Butler was named for General William Orlando Butler, a distinguished soldier of the Mexican War and a candidate for Vice-President on the ticket with General Cass of Michigan. He was also apoet of reputation and the author of a celebrated song called, The Boatman's Horn. In early minutes of the county, Mr. Butler was referred to as 'William Orlando Butler of the notorious Butler family'.

Butler was incorporated on Feb 8, 1854, but the charter was not received until 1870. Commissioners were Messrs. C.Y. PERRY, EZEKIAL ROYAL, ISAAC MULKEY, JAMES T. MAY, and P.C. CARR.

Early town minutes:
Johnathan STEWART was paid $41.00 for surveying the town of Butler on April 26, 1852.
Henry MILLIRONS was promised $14.00 for clearing the land and piling the underbrush on the Square but later minutes show he was only paid $11.20.

Taylor County Tracer - September 1997 The city of Butler had been laid out in lots and the sale of these lots was March 25, 1852 as advertised in the Wouthwest Georgian, Oglethorpe, Macon County, GA, March 19, 1852 (Vol 1, #48.
"Sale fo Town Lots: Will be sold on the 25th of March next, at the Town of Butler, the county site of Taylor, to the highest bidder, at public outcry, the Twon lots of the Town of Butler. This Town is situated at the depot near the 50 mile station, on the Muscogee Railroad. The locality of this place has advantages not to be surpassed by any town inthe state". Isaac Mulkey, JIC; Jerry Welcher, JIC; John Sturdevant, JIC; T.J. Riley, JIC; and H. Drane, JIC.

butler map

Contributed by John Adams 
IMPORTANT EVENTS IN THE HISTORY 
OF TAYLOR COUNTY

	Bill of sale of the town lots of Butler as were sold March 25, 1852.

BLOCK		LOT		PURCHASER 			PRICE

5		12		S. M. Dunn			$200.00
5		11		John Holingsworth		  265.00
5		7		John Holingsworth		  120.00
6		12		McCrary & Hamilton		  230.00
9		1		William Huckaby		 	  250.00
10		1		J. T. May			  200.00
10		7		John Holingsworth		  273.00
11		6		John B. Arnold			  260.00
4		7		William Wells			  301.00
4		6		William Wells			  215.00
5		1		L. M. Dunn			  200.00
5		6		John B. Arnold			  250.00
10		4		John Holingsworth		  165.00
10		2		John Fletcher			  120.00
6		7		James P. Rousan		  	  176.00
9		6		Eldrige Butts			  170.00
6		6		B. R. Searcy			  120.00
6		5		B. R. Searcy			  101.00
6		4		B. R. Searcy			  114.00
6		2		A. H. Riley			    97.00
6		1		A. H. Riley			  149.00
6		3		A. H. Riley			    91.00
5		4		James D. Cottingham		  101.00
5		2		John Joiner			  103.00
6		11		William P. Mathis		  160.00
6		10		E. C. Butts			  120.00
6		9		A. H. Riley			  121.00
6		8		William Mathis			  140.00
9		5		F. H. Murdock			    91.00
9		4		S. R. Hobbs			    91.00
9		3		Silas Monk			    99.00
9		2		A. A. Gaulding			  103.00
9		12		Gideon Bland			    90.00
10		7		Hamilton & McCrary		    72.00
10		5		Willis Jinks			  142.00
5		10		J. B. Wright			  181.00
5		8		E. B. & F. A. Waters		  178.00
10		3		Jessie Tension			  143.00
4		1		S. R. Hobbs			  100.00
3		6		William Moody			     82.00
3		1		M. Barnes & Hardison	  	  186.00
3		2		James Bartlett			  100.00
2		6		M. Barnes & Hardison	  	  249.00
2		4		Jackson Fountain		  	  160.00
2		3		Jackson Fountain		  	  100.00
2		2		M. Barnes & Hardison	  	  106.00
2		1		M. Barnes & Hardison	  	  147.00
1		6		James Bartlett			  109.00
1		5		James Bartlett			  104.00
1		7		H. A. Sikes			  101.00
2		12		James Gilbert			  111.00


BLOCK	LOT		PURCHASER 			PRICE

2		7		Jonathan Stewart		  	  102.00
3		12		James Griffith			  100.00
3		11		James Gilbert			  102.00
3		3		John B. Arnold			  116.00
5		5		B. F. Hurst			  100.00
5		3		Jacob Pare			  102.00
7		2		Wilburn Jinks			  120.00
7		3		Jefferson Riley			    56.00
7		12		Wilburn Jinks			  102.00
7		11		Wilburn Jinks			    73.00
7		7		Nathaniel Spears		    	    60.00
7		6		Nathaniel Spears		    	    60.00
8		1		John M. Hobbs			  102.00
9		7		Jefferson Riley			    31.00
10		12		B. F. Hurst			  111.00
10		11		Lewis Hill			    80.00
10		8		McCrary & Hamilton		    66.00
10		9		Lewis Hill			    71.00
10		10		Enoch Garrett			    53.00
9		11		A. A. Gaulding			    50.00
9		8		J. M. Thompson		    	    49.00
9		9		J. M. Thompson		    	    48.00
9		10		A. A. Gaulding			    50.00
7		3		Enoch Garrett			    50.00
7		4		A. A. Gaulding			    36.00
7		5		T. J. Riley			    34.00
7		8		T. J. Riley			    35.00
7		9		T. J. Riley			    40.00
7		10		Caleb Maulding, Jr.		    30.00
7		12 & Fraction  William Chew		  	  100.00

Terms of the above sale: one-eight cash, one-half of balance payable on first day of January, 1853, and remainder payable on the 14th day of January, 1854. Notes were required and certificates of title given to the purchasers, and deeds will be executed when the last payment is made. Ten percent deduction off where the whole amount was paid in advance.
We are very sorry the records fail to disclose the name of the auctioneer but we will say off-hand that it must have been Sheriff John M. Thompson and unless he was blessed with a strong clear voice, he was troubled for some days with sore throat.
Are any of the above lots still in the hands of the descendants of the original owners? If so tell the Herald.
The land on which the Town of Butler was built was secured from the following original owners: Andrew McCants, John T. Gray, John Sturdevant, John L. Parker, and a Covington, whose name we fail to have, and say definitely whether this party was a Mister Covington or Mrs. Covington, or Miss Covington, or whether they left before naming.
The above article was printed on page 1 of THE BUTLER HERALD, Taylor Co., Ga., Thursday, November 24, 1932.

Joseph J. Walton of Columbus by 1861 owned 25 Butler City lots and two half lots in 8 different City Blocks. These records show some of the earlier owners as well.

Oct 19, 1855 Lot 12/block 5; lot 11 & 12/block 7; lot 3/block 9 from Davis Castleberry $2850.00

*There was small pox in Butler from 1853-1856 and this may have caused some people to sell their lots.
BLOCK 1
Nov 6, 1855 lot 9,10,11/block 1  from Elam B. Waters for $500.00

BLOCK 3
D/159
Jan 7, 1869 R. Scandrett to Hugh Russ  $50 Town of Butler LL 10, 11, 12 Block 3

BLOCK 6
June 4, 1858 lot 7, 8/Block 6 from Sheriff L.Q.C. McCrary for $126.00 (These had been the property of John Adkins)



BLOCK 7
Nov 13, 1856 lot 3/block 7 from Enoch Garrett for $50.00

BLOCK 10
Jan 7 1869 McKenny, Francis M. & Crouch, John H. Terrell County to Hugh Ross  $1400 
LL6 1/2 LL5 in Block 10 in Butler South side of courthouse a part of premises on the west side being under the present Masonic Hall


June 14, 1858 lot 7,8/Block 10 from Daniel Royal for $70.00

Sept 2, 1858 lot 10/block 10 from Sheriff L.Q.C. McCrary for $35.00

Dec 27, 1858 lot 9/block 10 from Lewis hill for $50.00

(for other lots see Taylor Tracer September 1997)
Transfer/Sale of Butler Lots
Early Butler
Butler was incorporated as a town in 1854 with C(harlton) Y. Perry, Ezekial Royal, Isaac Mulkey, James T. May and P (erry) C. Carr as commissioners. Ordered that a Court House be bulit in Butler 44 feet by 60 feet...to be built on the plan of the courthouse in Buena Vista, Marion County. Court House contract to Patrick Adams for $5,400.00
Candy Factory
Mrs. Martha P. Cheatham, the former Martha Pate and daughter of Robert Jesse Pate, Sr. and Myrtis Elna Phillips, writes about the Butler Candy Factory.

My father, Robert Jesse Pate, Sr., closed his grocery store in Phenix City, AL and moved us to Butler, GA in 1923 when I was 5 years old. [He] opened a candy factory and hired a candy maker named Bill Baggett; salesman traveled all over central and south Georgia and took orders. He made all kinds of candy. [We] called the bar like Baby Ruth, "Plow Boy".

When banks went busted in 1929, the Candy Factory and family, including his sister's son, Douglas Stringfellow (son of Brooks and Ola Pate Stringfellow), moved to Moultrie, GA. Aunt Ola took the flu and died from it, so Daddy took her young son, Douglas into our home. I understand her son Jeff went to South Georgia.

Business fell off so we moved into a small place in Funston, GA (from Moultrie) where my sister Myranelle was born. Mother and Daddy made a little candy (no longer had help). The candy business was no good during the depression, so Daddy moved to Eelbeck, GA where the business did not do good. So we closed the candy factory and moved to Kingsboro, 4 miles south of Hamilton, GA in Harris County. Daddy ran the Eelbeck Milling Company grist mill and also farmed and had a grocery store.
Contributed by: Dan Phillips DPhill4502@aol.com


Transfer/Sale of Butler Town Lots

BLOCK #2 Sept 24, 1864 R. Scandrett and E.B. Waters $1,000 Butler lots #3 & #4 Block 2 BLOCK #3 Sept 23, 1867 Elam B. Waters (for Wm H. Howdon) to Hugh Russ $400 Town Lots in Butler #7, 8, 9 Block 3 BLOCK #5 Oct 24, 1866 R. Scandrett and E.B. Waters $300 west half of Butler town lot #9 Block 5 Wit: James Williamson, N.S. Wallace, NP BLOCK #6 Jan 5 1867 R. Scandrett and Henry Peed $250 Store house and lot in town of Butler, east part of lot #5 on Block 10 D/106 Jan 12, 1864 Power of Attorney James Flint appoints D.O. Smith on two Butler town lots #7 & #8 Block 6 Jan 14, 1864 D.O. Smith (attorney) and W.O. Russ of Upson County $800 two Butler town lots #7 & #8 Block 6 BLOCK #9 May 5, 1868 Henry C. Holbrook to Malichi Jones $126 Town of Butler, commencing 10 ft south of Store House known as Rucker Store House and now occupied by J.J. Reinhart and LQC McCrary also the office building known as the Old Corbitt Law Office, Lot 1 Block 9 BLOCK #10 Jan 2, 1867 Joseph J. Walton (Bibb) to Hugh Russ and William O Russ $100 Butler LL2 Block 10 (borders lot of Charles Mulkey (south side of Butler Square). Wit: James D. Russ, W.S. Wallace, NP BLOCK #11 March 9, 1868 Robert Scandrett to Catherine Cannon $140 Butler Town Lot 7 & 8 Block 11

Click
|Back to the top| Taylor Co Page | GA USGenWeb State Page|USGenWeb Page