Page last updated: Saturday, 03-Sep-2005 08:17:03 MDT

Small Towns of Taylor County

Maps of Early Taylor County

ROYAL | SODA TOWN | Dugger |Flem |Five Points


Coonsborough

was located near the present crossing at Mizell or Gee.

Daviston

Located on road from Carsonville to Junction City (Talbot County). In Talbot in 1839 - 1885-1904 maps. This community was on the Stage Coach Road from Milledgeville -Knoxville - Columbus. Also called the Wire Road because the Telegraph followed this route. Land District 15 - probably junction of LL170 LL171 LL150 LL151.

Duggers was located north of Reynolds near Crowell about the turn of the century. On maps for 1899 and 1915 Flem was located northwest of Rupert toward the Marion Co border. Noted on maps 1904 and 1910.

Fletcher Hemperly, Cities, Towns and Communities of Georgia...p.53

Fort LawrenceKrakow, Georgia Place-Names, p.84 Early Fort across the Flint River

Gee

Located 3/4 way between Butler and Howard on Railroad line (west of Tangent. Listed on 1915 map only . Later known as Mizell.

Griffith

Located lots five and six of the Old Agency Reserve bordering the Flint River or 1st Dist LL220 - west of Flint River, south of Crawford County line. It was a small community where the Griffith family lived, located off Hwy 128, north of Reynolds, just a few miles from the Flint River/New Agency/Crawford County. They had a store there where lots of folks in that area bought their goods. There's only one house left now.(2005) It has a creek running through it that was first called Griffith Branch, but I think is now referred to as Philmon Branch, although most of the maps we have show Griffith Branch Contributed by: Warren Windham jwwindham@bellsouth.net

Hall's Shop or Holt's Shop 1855 - 1865 maps near Crawford Co border - northeast county junction of Beaver Creek and Patsiliga Creek. 1865 map shows on road leading to Daviston at a crossroad.

Layfield 1915 map between Howard and Tangent on Butler Road.

Kipling Near Watson's Mill north of present day Mauk. Post Office established prior to 1900's. When Mauk came into existence in 1907, the town declined and post office eventually moved to Mauk. Harmony Baptist Church was in Kipling.

The April 25, 1905 issue of the Butler Herald told that Kipling post office was soon to be established at Watson's Mill with W. P. Hesters as postmaster.)

Mizell (Gee) Located 3/4 way between Butler and Howard on Railroad line (west of Tangent.

Norwich on 1915 map north of Mauk almost on Marion County line

Panhandle Probably came into existence at time of Railroad 14th Dis LL97 and 13th Dis LL247 are the location. Land sold 24 Nov 1859 James Thompson to H.R. Hamilton, Houston County. Earlier I believe this was known as Thompsons 1864 map On Muscogee Railroad line east of Butler - midway to Reynolds
Map showing Thompsons.

Pebble Near Reynolds on 1915 map

Royal

Located on southwest Taylor County (east of Stewart's Mill) on Cedar Creek near border of now Schley County. Listed on 1899 Map only. People received their mail at the Royal post office near Cooper's Store and some ten miles south of Butler on what is now highway 19. Royal, too died with the coming of the AB&A Railroad to the north and was consolidated with Soda Townsome five miles farther south to make up the present Rupert post office..."

Soda Town Combined with Royal to form present day Rupert Community.

Scotts on 1895 map road from Butler towards Talbotton.Probably LL 125 or LL132 15th District. ?Later called Tangent when Rail Road came through ?

Southland 1910 map near border with Macon in Land District 2, land lot 211. W.G. Hill was appointed Postmaster by President Taft in July 1907 and opened his grocery store September 1, 1907. This was located on Cedar Creek and the A.B. & A. R. R.

Stewart's Mill

Located on southwest Taylor County on Cedar Creek near border of now Schley County. Listed on 1899 Map only.

Tangent

Located half way between Butler and Howard on Railroad line. Listed on 1899-1915 maps . Probably LL 125 or LL132. ?Previously called Scotts ?

Thompsons 1864 map On Muscogee Railroad line east of Butler - midway to Reynolds
Map showing Thompsons. Could this be Panhandle?

Union
Map 1839
Located just outside the Indian Agency. Probably 14th Dis LL147.

Wesley northwest Taylor County 1915 map



|Back to the top| Taylor Co Page | GA USGenWeb State Page| GA County Index Page USGenWeb Page

Copyright © 1998, Virginia Crilley, all rights reserved