In 1734, the Town of Ebenezer was laid out covering a quarter mile. A colonial fort protected the German settlers. The town was an important trading center for silk.
Fortifications around the town, located in Effingham County, were improved in 1776 by the Continental Army. Also built was a state militia magazine.
On 2 Jan 1779, Colonel Archibald Campbell and his British Troops captured the Town and it's fortifications. The town remained in British possession for three and a half years. The people of the town suffered many hardships during that time.
In Jul 1782, the Continental Army under General Anthony Wayne took over possession of the town, just before the British surrendered Savannah. The Georgia legislature met here and for a time, the town was the Capitol of Georgia.
The town was the County Seat of Effingham County from 1796 to 1799, when the courts were moved to Springfield.
© 2011 - 2012 Compilation Copyright. For Personal Use ONLY. Not for commercial use without the express written permission of the copyright holder.